New suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am in need of some new suspension. My first priority is the shocks. I am thinking if Rancho RS5000. What shocks have you guys had the best luck with? I also need to replace all of the ball joints and control arm bushings. Is there anybody out there that sells these all as one kit? I am looking for a set for a decent price, but not the most expensive ones since I still have to buy my new BFG ATs before I head of to school.

Thanks for your input

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read some good reviews for the Bilsteins and the Ranchos. I dont think you can go wrong with either. Btw what is the purpose of your truck? Is is lifted or leveled?

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im runnin the rancho's on my expy and they work great. as for getting new balljoints and whatnot, if you are gonna do the work yourself, just pick the parts up from autozone or parts plus (or any shop you like). im from iowa too and if your town is anything like mine, there is always a country boy around that can help ya.

OP
OP
99 Expy

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys, that's pretty much what i was thinking. I think i'm going to buy the rs 5000s this weekend and ball joints with any extra money. I would like to make the truck purposely for off roading, but unfortunately I have to pay for school, and I have to drive 700 miles one way to school, so the stock ride is a little cheaper and more suitable for now. If I still have the truck when these parts need replacement again, I will be done with school and be able to make a nice off road machine :D

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try to find some polyurethane bushings, they will improve the handling and last longer. I have bilstein HD shocks and they're pretty good, I've never had the rancho's or anything other then stock so I don't have much to compare to.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
for shocks im running trailmaster ssv have had good luck with them on other vehicles... when i did my ball joints and inner tie rod ends i used MOOG products if you look at the stock component and the moog side by side the quality and strength of the moog over stock is night and day... energy suspension makes poly control arm bushings and the handling difference is huge. good luck

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
for shocks im running trailmaster ssv have had good luck with them on other vehicles... when i did my ball joints and inner tie rod ends i used MOOG products if you look at the stock component and the moog side by side the quality and strength of the moog over stock is night and day... energy suspension makes poly control arm bushings and the handling difference is huge. good luck

I'm still jealous they don't make poly bushings for the 03 model... it's the only thing missing in my suspension upgrade.

OP
OP
99 Expy

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, I ended up buying the rs5000s from https://4wheelonline.com/ last weekend and had them shipped to my door for $165 which is about $50 cheaper than i was quoted at my local parts stores. I got them Friday and put them on this afternoon.
I am going to get a set of the MOOG ball joints next weekend and I am also going to get poly bushings for everything. Energy suspension has a master kit that runs around $350. Anybody using these now? Are there any other brands you would recommend?

Thanks

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Go with the Energy. Just don't skimp on the lube when installing the bushings. If you do, your truck will squeek like crazy.

If you order from energysusupensionparts.com they include extra lube for free.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
energy all the way im running the upper and lower control arm bushings and sway bar bushings and links they work well... like mentioned above dont skimp on the lube