New to me 99 EB 4.6 4x2 215k mi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSnowRules

Reaction score
Hi, new Expy owner here. I picked this up for $800 a couple weeks ago. It had been sitting for a couple months, since the PO couldn't diagnose the problem (needed a fuel pressure regulator and EGR hose had blown off the intake manifold). I fixed that, drove it home, and put ~200mi on since . No obvious mechanical issues or leaks, drives fine, no CEL after I cleared codes at PO's house. There was some stop-leak in the cooling system, but I haven't figured out why. It definitely needs some TLC. Do you guys think I did OK? (pics are immediately prior to my purchase)
download

download
download
download
download
download
download
download

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$800.00...Hell yes! Stop leak in the cooling system? Well...you might have your answer in another 200 miles.

OP
OP
C

CSnowRules

Reaction score
$800.00...Hell yes! Stop leak in the cooling system? Well...you might have your answer in another 200 miles.

Well, I gave it a very thorough flushing yesterday x3. It probably took 100 gallons of water to flush all of that stuff out. I HATE stop leak and the PO obviously used WAY too much. The front heater core was completely plugged with stop leak. Based on the smell when I turned the heat on, heater core was likely the leak. It's all flushed out now, and front heat now works with no sign of leaking so far...hopefully it stays that way.

Otherwise the truck seems solid. The interior cleaned up nicely. Ball joints and front shocks need to be replaced. Overall, I'm extremely pleased. It makes me want to go buy another one!

OP
OP
C

CSnowRules

Reaction score
I think you should definitely buy another....then chop it and make it into a Rednexpedition :D :rockit::cheers:
Haha...maybe. Wife would kill me if I took on another project right now. I already have my hands full with a Fiero project and 86 F150 restore.

But if I found the right candidate...:superhack:

1ATony

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for joining. That 5.4 is a good motor. We carry a lot of repair parts for that year. Here's a link to what we carry if you would like to see what we have 1999 Ford Expedition Parts

OP
OP
C

CSnowRules

Reaction score
Well I found that the stop leak was for the front heater core, but it still isn't leaking at the moment. I did run into this though... This cheap part almost killed the engine. I've never seen such a flimsy impeller.IMAG0256.jpg IMAG0255.jpg