New to me Expy, already having problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glenn B

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2006 Expedition, Eddie Bauer Edition, for about $3000. About 180k miles on it, good condition, runs fine, just had to have the rear diff replaced before driving it home. For some reason the ABS light is on, still need to find out what's causing that. (I have a code reader, but it did not bring up any trouble codes when I checked this morning.)

While bringing it home last night (in pouring rain) I heard a belt squeaking. Had the local mechanic take a quick peek this morning, he said it's the serpentine. Joy, another $80. While driving it this evening, the check engine light came on. Code reader came back with:

Confirmed
P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit

Pending
P0012 "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded
P0345 Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit

I'm no mechanic. From the brief bit of Googling I did (which ultimately brought me here) I am seeing that it could be a bad sensor or perhaps bad wiring. What I am wondering is, is it related to the serpentine? Seems weird that the belt is squeaking, I put on the A/C to test that out, suddenly I have a CEL.

Thanks for any info.

Glenn

OP
OP
G

Glenn B

Reaction score
how badly worn is your belt?

Mechanic just said it needs to be replaced. He didn’t have time to go into any further detail than that. I didn’t have an actual appointment, it was more of a “hey, what do you think this is” kind of thing.

Edit - What little I can see of it looks okay, no cracks, but it does flex about an inch when pushed. Is that too much give for a belt? Like I said, I am no mechanic.

Glenn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tank_Snake

Reaction score
Mechanic just said it needs to be replaced. He didn’t have time to go into any further detail than that. I didn’t have an actual appointment, it was more of a “hey, what do you think this is” kind of thing.

Edit - What little I can see of it looks okay, no cracks, but it does flex about an inch when pushed. Is that too much give for a belt? Like I said, I am no mechanic.

Glenn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh yeah. Waybto much play, surprised your belt hasn't slipped off....but that tells me it may be your belt tensioner.....think about it. A belt that's bad will squeak but it's not falling off the pullys which means your tensioner us working, but could be going bad somehow and letting it slack.
Idk that's my 2 cents. If check the tensioner out too, that wouldn't be an expensive fix

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can change the serpentine belt yourself. If the camshaft position sensors are bad, they're easy to replace as well. All right there in the front of the motor.

You can download ForScan to your phone or laptop and use one of the many ELM327 OBDII wireless adapters to read your ABS module and trouble codes.

http://forscan.org/home.html

http://forscan.org/download.html

-Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Glenn B

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'll watch the video to see if it's something I am comfortable with, otherwise I'll take it to the mechanic to see what he can do with it. Still have the ABS light to contend with. Sigh...

Glenn

OP
OP
G

Glenn B

Reaction score
You can download ForScan to your phone or laptop and use one of the many ELM327 OBDII wireless adapters to read your ABS module and trouble codes. [URL said:

Thanks for the link. Nice app - the one I was using on my phone used to be free and full featured, but as of the latest update it chirps about a Pro version every time I tap something. $5 is worth the peace of mind. My old Tundra didn't have ABS so I never worried about it but I guess I need to now.

ForScan is telling me the ABS light is on because of a Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Input Circuit Failure. Nice. I'll add that to my list of things to read about to see if it's something I can do myself.

Glenn

drewactual

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ABS is no doubt related to rear dif work... what was done?

when you turned on the a/c you slapped load to the engine w/o increasing throttle... if the code was pending, it was enough to trigger the hard code.

OP
OP
G

Glenn B

Reaction score
That's what we were thinking. He had to take the tires off to replace the rear diff. The ABS light was not on before that work was done.

I cleared the codes, and will drive it to work tomorrow. CEL will most likely come back on, so I'll check to see what it says.

Glenn

OP
OP
G

Glenn B

Reaction score
It seems to be okay at the start of the trip, but 20 miles later, it's idling rough, shaking, and feels like it's going to stall. Belt getting hot and stretching out further? It goes into the shop next Wednesday.

Glenn