Newbie here, Dead Ins Cluster, Radio, Windows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mbs xk8

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everything is reassembled and connected. All fuses are correct. The instrument cluster lights up and the gauges swept back on forth.

Turned the key, held my breath as the engine cranked... but it
didn't turn over. When I removed the key, fuse 21 sparked and blew just as before.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
check fuse #28 and #34 if they are good try to restart

you could also get a can of starting fluid and spray into the intake while having someone turn the key to the start position this will at least test if you are getting spark to the plugs

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you using a circuit breaker in place of fuse 21? If not you may want to get one, I have a feeling we may be a while in finding the problem.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge that you can connect to the fuel rail? We need to find out what part of the engine system has dropped out. You have either lost fuel pressure or the injector control (pcm/pats). Each of the two are electrical. Getting the fuel pressure is the easiest if you have the tools. Using the starting fluid is also another test but can be dangerous if you haven't used it before. You don't want to get spray happy.

We are at the point of isolating circuits since the only connection between fuse 21 and the ignition switch is a feed to the instrument cluster for the key in ignition lock. Problem is this circuit is protected by a different fuse - 102. If there is a problem on that circuit it should pop 102.

You may need to make a few more jumper wires to test the ign sw circuit. I'll get back to you on that later after work.

According to the service manual your parking brake is electric and just so happens to be on fuse 21.
Sending you more pdf's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mbs xk8

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fuses are all good.

I bought another fuse box and gave it a try.the Espy started and everything worked (gauges, radio, power windows)

I was very excited until i turned off the car and fuse 21 blew again. Now no gauges, radio, or windows again.

But she did start and run. But I smelled something electrical, burning. I felt around the fuse box and noticed the middle relay on the back side if the circuit board was really hot. Its the middle of the 5 relays you can't remove.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford doesn't indicate what those relays control since they aren't replaceable. Your only option would be to follow the traces on your old fuse box to see which connector and pins they go to. Once we know that we can look at the diagrams and try to find it on them. If your lucky it will be on the circuit for fuse 21.

Will need the connector number and pin number.

OP
OP
M

mbs xk8

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This was a used fuse box that looks new. Its in really good shape.

As I said , the SUV starts now but fuse 21 sparks and blows when removing the key. The emergency brake doesn't work either.