newbie turning Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scexy

Reaction score
Greetings to all. I'm new and have been trying to find some answers to a few things.

I have a 2000 Exy that is Supercharged (thus the moniker SC exy)
with a KB Twin Screw Supercharger and a tune from from KB.

It runs great, but doesn't seem to feel like a SC'd car should or at least I think so. I'm used to turbo cars and this one just doesn't pull like them.

But, that's not the problem. Twice, I have tried to stomp the gas to get onto the highway and the car seemed to hesitate and the CEL started flashing. I let off the gas and the CEL kept flashing for another 30 seconds or so.

After the first incident I went to autozone and scanned for codes. None were stored.

I ran a can of ChemB12 to clean the fuel system just in case and installed a new fuel filter. I run 93 octane. The truck, about 3k miles ago, had a full seafoam treatment as well.

After the second incident I took the car to the Ford dealer, removed the piggy back chip tune and had the full diagnostic testing done. The car was 100% perfect.

The temps here in KY have been pretty cold (from 4- 35 degrees), I always let the truck warm up so I'm running out of ideas.

Is there something more I should look at and would I benefit from a custom tune?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
sounds like the start of a misfire problem

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe you partly clogged an injector when you ran the Seafoam? Or does that throw a code?

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some things come to mind since you have a custom tune... Need bigger injectors? fuel pump?. If not start off small by checking spark plugs and coils may be as simple as one of those.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think KB had an update to their tuning a while back... check with them first.... I seem to remember this being an issue and something about an updated tune and a bigger fuse for the boost a pump or something like that.....

Matt R

OP
OP
S

scexy

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in response. I wasn't getting email notifications.

Yes it was TUNING not turning... I was late when I was writing.

Anyway, I did call KB. They had an update that according to the tech was minimal and required tomco injectors but he didn't seem to interested or informed for that matter. In fact the company that did the install stopped doing business with KB due to their poor customer service and difficulty in dealing with them.

Currently, I have stock injectors and I'm not sure about the spark plugs but the previous owner was pretty meticulous about maintenance.

As for the Trans question, the trans shifts fine and smooth like a caddilac. I guess it would be nice if it was a little firmer...

As for misfire or coil, I had the full-boat dagnostice at the FORD dealer with zero issues...

AS for the seafoam, I ran it through the engine and fuel system about 3k miles ago. I did the ChemB12 more recently. - I was thinking that the fuel filter might be clogged so I replaced it. (There were a couple of instances where the car wouldn't start- even one time I was down to just over the "E" in fuel and the car decided not to start. I added some more fuel and it started and ran just fine.

Every once in a while I feel a sort of shudder. The RPM's don't drop or anything like that and I don't get any CEL's.

I hope I answered everything. I am open to upgrading injectors, etc, if I can get some more ooomph from this truck. This is my first SC vehicle. My other cars are turbo'd so I'm used to power that slams you into the seat. Am I asking too much from this truck?

According to the specs, this SC is supposed to be worth 100hp to the wheels. I think I might need more.:D