No CD player.?..Why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Understandable.

I just feel like music played from a cd just sounds better than via bluetooth/usb

As long as you rip a CD with a high bit rate it should sound like the CD on a USB drive. Not sure if bluetooth degrades sound.

night vision

Reaction score
I can just echo what others have mentioned. Rip it at a lossless format AIFF(mac)/WAV(mac/windows) (general format compatiblity). Figure 10 megabytes per minute, so a 68 minute CD is going to take up 680 megabytes or just about 2/3 of one gig. So on a 128 gig flash drive, you could, store 191 compact discs if each length was 66 minutes which is the average between 60 and 74 minutes each, twice that on a 256 gig and four times that on a 512 gig and so on.

The only thing you won't be able to do is store metadata within a .wav file. So you can't have cover art/genre/artist/album/year/etc/etc/etc appended into the file.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
plus, you can't attach a subscription to a CD's or other physical media... Gotta love the insidious desire for everything to be a subscription by wall street, and thus every company out there. Re-occurring revenue is the new "non-debt" form of credit.

Last edited:

JVinOlathe

Reaction score
CDs, much like cassettes, are pretty much obsolete. Newer cars allow you to use a USB thumb drive or SD cards; they also allow you to connect to the Internet through your cell phone (or directly) and stream music. Let's take a 64 Gb SD card, which is about the size of a nail and pretty much average size, at 320Kbps which is pretty high resolution, you can store well over 5,000 songs or the equivalent of 500 CDs. Musin palyed from a CD or a USB file, provided it is of the right format and rate, will sound exacty the same. If you think CDs sound better than files stored on thumb drive, you probably have poor definition files; players are digital and only see 1s and 0s; otherwise, it is just wishful thinking.
You can see why CDs are pretty much obsolete for car use. I have loaded all my CDs to YouTube Music and and I can access all the music thought Android Auto; I can select by album, artist or song and I can create my own play lists and the service is free. You can also acces any music you want through streaming services like Spotify and Pandora at a monthly cost but you have immediate access to hundreds of thousands of songs.
Lots of options out there from free to piad, but all considerably better than CDs.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What you @JVinOlathe have said is pretty common knowledge. I think most people on here know their options. the point is, that you can literally buy the mechanical portions of a CD player (or even DVD for that matter) for less than $15. And that's not at the volume someone like Ford would buy. I'm personally not going to take the time to rip my 1500 cd's to DAF and unfortunately I was one of those victims of Verizon forcing everyone off of unlimited data plans, only to bring them back two years later at a higher cost because Sprint/Boost brought them back. So I can't stream till my hearts content nor do I want to increase those costs just to do so.

The point was, while CD's might be obsolete, so to apparently are turn signals, as no one seems to use those either. We should maybe just stop putting those on cars. Not to mention, that using USB on this is kind of a pain since they removed the ability to even explore the USB content while driving. I sure as heck could flip through a folder full of CD's no problem and still drive just fine! I wonder if there's a parking brake kill switch we can install to trick the head unit into thinking we're not moving so we can browse our usb drives, lol. oh wait, these cars will probably panic and deploy the airbags or something.

I personally would be okay, for a sticker price north of $80K, to see a single slot CD player, and if Ford was smart, it would be DVD and could quickly double as a content player for the rear entertainment.

JVinOlathe

Reaction score
@5280tunage The difference is that turn signals are a very important and helpful safety feature and are required by law; CDs? not so much. Why would Ford install an obsolete mechanical feture when the solid state solution is already there and considerably better and more reliable? I don't believe I have bouth a CD in a numberof years, I would not even know where to get them. I have loade all my digital music to YouTube mUsic and I can stream it searching by band name, album, or song very easily, not only thrugh the touch screen but also with voice commands.
CD are pretty much obsolete and they are not comming back, anymore thna carburators or brake shoes; I cannot even image the amount of pyisical space needed to carry 1,500 CDs.
You need to embrace the current technology and I am sure once you do it, you will wonder why you did not do it sooner; I know I did.

OP
OP
SyndicateZ

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@5280tunage The difference is that turn signals are a very important and helpful safety feature and are required by law; CDs? not so much. Why would Ford install an obsolete mechanical feture when the solid state solution is already there and considerably better and more reliable? I don't believe I have bouth a CD in a numberof years, I would not even know where to get them. I have loade all my digital music to YouTube mUsic and I can stream it searching by band name, album, or song very easily, not only thrugh the touch screen but also with voice commands.
CD are pretty much obsolete and they are not comming back, anymore thna carburators or brake shoes; I cannot even image the amount of pyisical space needed to carry 1,500 CDs.
You need to embrace the current technology and I am sure once you do it, you will wonder why you did not do it sooner; I know I did.
But I like having my CD visor holder weighing down on my visors arm and bending it from the weight of 50 cd's.....I also enjoyed my multi-Cd player not being able to play cd's anymore because one CD is stuck in the player and you can't unload it or load another cd ;(

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But I like having my CD visor holder weighing down on my visors arm and bending it from the weight of 50 cd's.....I also enjoyed my multi-Cd player not being able to play cd's anymore because one CD is stuck in the player and you can't unload it or load another cd ;(
So sorry, sounds like your changer must have been a Sony, lol. My Alpines and Pioneers never had those issues, lol. When I was super ghetto in my first jeep, I actually took my Pioneer 100disc carousel and a Pioneer AV receiver, both powered by different inverters and hid them in the trunk with some PA speakers... worked great till I hit a bump in the road.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So sorry, sounds like your changer must have been a Sony, lol. My Alpines and Pioneers never had those issues, lol. When I was super ghetto in my first jeep, I actually took my Pioneer 100disc carousel and a Pioneer AV receiver, both powered by different inverters and hid them in the trunk with some PA speakers... worked great till I hit a bump in the road.
And then when some jerk breaks into your car and steals that carousel you lose more money in purchased music than you had invested in the carousel. Super easy to copy the files onto a new $16 USB stick again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett