No Check Engine Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HelpMyFord

Reaction score
When I turn my key there is no check engine light. When I had my car SMOGed no codes came up. I took my vehicle to Firestone and they said my bulb must be burned out. Three hours later they tell me my check engine light does not have a bulb that it is an LED and that my entire instrument panel has to be replaced. Which they said would be $767. I asked if I could purchase a used panel or even pull one from another vehicle and I was told no that the VIN would not match resulting in the CEL to come on. Would the entire panel really have to be replaced for only one light? Is there any solution that is less costly?

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year is the truck? I believe Ford did switch to LEDs in some clusters but im not sure on expeditions what type of bulb is in which year.

In my old 2003 crown vic it was all 194 bulbs but by 2006 it was Leds.

Ive never heard of the vins not matching in the cluster causing a check engine light to glow. but i believe the mileage stays with the cluster and will show the miles of the cluster you install. It may be able to be reprogrammed by Ford but im unsure of that cost.

Another option is sending your cluster out for repair. Ive not used them yet myself but there is a company local to me in Wisconsin that i believe could fix it for you. If you would like some info on that let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

HelpMyFord

Reaction score
It's a 2002 Eddie Bauer edition. I understand the odometer wouldn't match but I'm sure there has to be some sort of paperwork to file with the DMV for that. It just seems over the top and not practical to me for the entire thing to be replaced for one function. Do you know how long a rebuild would take? It is my only vehicle and I was only given a ten day extension on my registration.

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is the link to the cluster repair shop.

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/

I sent you a PM with more details.

Add your year make and model to your signature line for future posts and let us know how it goes, whichever route you end up taking,on this repair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First off why would you believe what Firestone said about the Instrument Cluster CEL bulb. I would check with a Ford Dealer for better information.

You have a 2002 Which is a 1st Gen expedition It is the same Instrument Cluster as what's in my 2001 and the check engine lamp is not an LED I have attached a print of the cluster and it shows you have a Lamp NOT LED I would suggest that you remove the instrument cluster and replace the bulb or see if the bulb is still in the cluster

Attachments

• 62-3.pdf
    15.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a feeling 2002 was too early to be LED bulbs. But have never been around a 1st gen expy. If you do pull out the cluster, I highly suggest you replace all bulbs burned out or not. I certainly wouldnt want to pull the cluster again in a few weeks when one of the other bulbs burn out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk