No instrument cluster illumination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
I pulled the cluster out of the wife's 06 Limited to replace some burned out bulbs in the RPM gauge side of the cluster, I couldn't find the replacement bulbs I needed locally so I put the old bulbs back in and reassembled the car so she could drive it. Now it has no illumination at all, and I can't figure out what is going on. Fuse is good, connections are tight, everything else in the cluster works like it should. Help please?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If everything else dims you might have plugged something behind the speedo in wrong, or blew some fuse. Check your owners book for what fuse powers the speed cluster lights. Pull it test both parts for power and ground. Try another fuse sometimes they look good but aren't. If that don't work, guess you gotta pull apart again. Good luck, keep us posted, Moose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

superduty4x4

Reaction score
If everything else dims you might have plugged something behind the speedo in wrong, or blew some fuse. Check your owners book for what fuse powers the speed cluster lights. Pull it test both parts for power and ground. Try another fuse sometimes they look good but aren't. If that don't work, guess you gotta pull apart again. Good luck, keep us posted, Moose

There are only 2 plugs on the back of the cluster and there's no way you can get them in the wrong spot. I did check the fuse that states it's for instrument cluster illumination, among other things which I forget, and the fuse checks OK plus all the other items on that circuit function.
I'm having a heck of a time finding the correct bulbs, I guess until I can find them I'll just sit tight. Perhaps my jostling things around knocked another bulb loose or caused one to go bad. I'm hoping that something didn't happen to the cluster that will cause it to need to be replaced.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hope so too. Just bite the bullet and get new bulbs from dealer. Can't be that crazy for couple of bulbs. Your cluster is printed circuit board right. Check it real carefully when installing new bulbs. Maybe it's one of those weird circuits that has to have all bulbs right to work. I'm not as good at electronics as the other guys on the forum. Maybe one of the pros can chime in on your issue!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check fuses #21 and #15 I do agree that there is no way you can get them (Plugs) in the wrong spot. However that doesn't mean that you may not have bent a pin when reinstalling the plugs or have them fully seated or that a pin got pushed out of the connector

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was wondering about the pins too!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry Wrong fuse number should be #21 and #15 Check with a meter or test lamp Don't just look at them Looks can be deceiving

OP
OP
S

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Check fuses #21 and #15 I do agree that there is no way you can get them (Plugs) in the wrong spot. However that doesn't mean that you may not have bent a pin when reinstalling the plugs or have them fully seated or that a pin got pushed out of the connector
I did check the pins, all is well there. I will pull and test fuse 15 for kicks as well. I'm hoping that 1955moose is on the right track about certain bulbs needing to be good for the rest to work, I pulled 7 bulbs out and have little faith that they all went back into the spots they came from.