No Oil in the heads after replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
somebody on another forum suggested it might be air in the system that needs to be purged out. any thoughts?

No it's not air.

Most likely your pump is fine. Again I can't stress enough that because you just did all that work and you are now having problems that you induced somehow (this is just what's common when you have problems after doing work like that). Also if your oil gauge is reading 0 and it's working correctly, hooking a mechanical gauge somewhere else in the line is also going to give you a 0 reading because it's all flowing out somewhere else unless you block it at another point.

Added legend to previous post

I haven't rebuilt or even pulled the heads off a Ford, just the intake and that didn't have oil passages. Usually there isn't any weird connections that come off or need to go on for a head gasket change so that is odd you are having this problem. I'm not saying it can't be the pump, I'm just saying to focus on the work you just did as the possible root cause.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

ltramon45

Reaction score
The regular gauge is working. So it leads me to believe that its not the pump. Maybe checking with an external gauge might not hurt.

So what are my options - tearing it apart? or adding something like Marvel Mystery Oil or Lucas products. Also thinking about draining the oil and pouring it back in.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the oil gauge showing pressure? good pressure?

Did you actually pull the valve covers to see if there was any oil or lack of for that matter?

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

ltramon45

Reaction score
The regular gauge is reading normal pressure. It could be clogged. I looked in the oil fill tube and see dry no oil. I have not pulled anything apart yet.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would take off the valve covers and see if one or both are or aren't getting oil. Or just take off the valve cover that's easiest to pull for starters and let us know what you find.

Oh yea I forgot, this is a OHC setup, you don't have lifters. If oil pressure is good, I think you may have another problem if it's noisier after your rebuild. Did you torque your cams down with a torque wrench? Did you put all your hydraulic lash adjusters exactly where they came from?

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
The gaskets are side specific and should be marked for which side they go on. If they're on the wrong side that could block the oil passages.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

^^^^ That was my thought as well. Would make sense with the work you performed.

@ Stamp.. the oil pump on these motors are located on the front of the block. Goes over the crank behind the timing gear so dropping the pan no longer gives access.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now that I think of it I would assume the hydraulic lash adjusters work like the hydraulic lifters so if they weren't getting oil your rocker arms would make more noise. If they or the rocker arms weren't reinstalled in the same spots, one may be just a little bit out of tolerance causing noise. I would still pull that driver side valve cover and check for oil.