no power in engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MedicMoe

Reaction score
Hello everybody
I have an 01 Expedition with a 5.4 motor with a 192,000 miles
in the morning when I start the truck I can drive it no problem but later on after it's warmed up for a while if I mash the gas pedal it actually bogs down and wants to die. it'll idle and I can depress the gas pedal maybe a centimeter it'll pick up speed but anything more than a centimeter and it will start dying. I already replaced all the plugs and wires last month at a hundred and ninety thousand. right now no codes show up on the computer, so where do you think I should look first? Clogged cats? Vacuum leak? Ive done the obvious tests, but am i no means an expert.

OP
OP
MedicMoe

MedicMoe

Reaction score
so I cleaned the airfilter, looks good, cleaned off the 2 sensors in the intake hose (ambient temp) i think, and also sprayed cleaner in the throttle body. i think it helped a little but i dont think it fixed the problem.

OP
OP
MedicMoe

MedicMoe

Reaction score
Cleaned both sensors in the intake, and sprayed the throttle body. Ive glanced over the engine, and see or hear no obvious beoken loose vacuum lines. The cats dont make a rattling noise. But it seems to be heat realated. Like the ambient temp is above 85. All the guages apear to be in the normal range.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Do you have a check engine light. If you do, scan with a OBD reader. Sounds like a bad TPS(throttle position sensor). No check light, could be a fuel filter or pump.

OP
OP
MedicMoe

MedicMoe

Reaction score
the cats dont make excess noise, and I've tested the sensors as described by MikeA. I bought MAF cleaner and sprayed it twice. no change. this morning I drove the truck no problems for over an hour all around vegas ( freeway and city streets), came home, and went out again to do more errands. the second trip out, the truck started acting up ( I can't depress the gas pedal more than 1 cm, if i do, the motor begins to bog down.) I'm really stumped! Thank you all for the help still no check engine light on the dash, and when i plug in my code reder, it says no codes.