No power up hill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kerstingm

Reaction score
Hi I am a new owner of a 1998 Expedition XLT 4.6 engine, but a devoted Ford owner for life. Anyway we have been noticing a problem while going up hills we have no power the tach is arounf 4k and I am only going 30 mph. A couple of times now the tach has even jumped to 5k then jumped back to 2k. Twice now we have lost reverse till the engine and or trans cooled down. I have noticed the trans shifts around 3500 rpms. The fluid is full and looks a little burnt but not too bad I have seen worse. I am going to try changing the filter and fluid and add some Lucas or other conditioner (name brand). My question is there anything else I should look at? One of the first thing I added when I got the suv was a Spectra cold air intake to help with gas milage, but I am only doing around 13 mpg. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am really hoping this dosen't sound like a trans going out. We absolutly love this truck.
Thank you.

miller57

Reaction score
no power

I know this happened to me long time ago. I had a chevy lumina and it slowly was losing power. It got real bad!! I took it to a Cottman trans shop ( thinking it was the trans). They took it for a test deive and said they thought the cats were clogged. I took it to my regular mech. and it turned out to be right. The cat was clogged . Had it replaced and it ran great.
HOPE this helps
miller57

OP
OP
K

kerstingm

Reaction score
I was thinking about that last night. I had a Ranger in 98 that was doing the samething
And it turned out to be a bad cat converter. I know the muffler has a crack at the seam
So I an to put a flowmaster system on. Do you know if this would effect the reverse going out
When the trans gets too hot?

miller57

Reaction score
maybe its working to hard and overheating. you seem to be putting alot of stress on the engine so that would also put stress on the trans.
good luck
miller57

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
on the cheap side try changing the gas filter