No start after new head gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How's the motor sound when you crank it? If you screwed up, your engine would pop, or sound strange. Try the simple stuff, hook up a hei spark tester on any coil, spark yes, move to fuel, spray a shot of starter fluid in throttle body. Even if your off 1 tooth you will run, albeit poorly, but should fire off. If you matched up bright links on chain, with proper cam positions, you should be a go. Visually seeing #1 piston at tdc doesn't get any better. Passenger front piston, cams at proper spots, their is no intake/ compression stroke, like Stamp said. Check the fuel/ spark, it's probably one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Charles Musick

Charles Musick

Reaction score
Now you would check for fuel & spark. Fuel is the easiest to check - pressure needs to be @35 psi with key on engine off.

How's the motor sound when you crank it? If you screwed up, your engine would pop, or sound strange. Try the simple stuff, hook up a hei spark tester on any coil, spark yes, move to fuel, spray a shot of starter fluid in throttle body. Even if your off 1 tooth you will run, albeit poorly, but should fire off. If you matched up bright links on chain, with proper cam positions, you should be a go. Visually seeing #1 piston at tdc doesn't get any better. Passenger front piston, cams at proper spots, their is no intake/ compression stroke, like Stamp said. Check the fuel/ spark, it's probably one of those.

Thank you. Moose I was thinking the same thing. It turned pretty easy when I cranked. I also agree with the simple first approach. I Fixed -Low on fuel, crankshaft position sensor was unhooked, and a weak battery. I'm not sure the exact problem but, after I fixed these it started right up. I didn't run it long because I still don't have the manifolds on. (broken bolts on 1 and I can't get the vac pipe nuts loose on the drivers side.

I'm thinking about doing a post,"my challenges with a head gasket" not a full blown how-to; just the areas where I had problems that other youtubers, blogs, and chilton forgot to mention. ie like EVERYONE on you tube said to cut the manifold flange bolts. I had to because they stripped, but the man bolts came out of the head A LOT easier that I thought they would. I wish I had just removed them instead of messing with the flange bolts. Now its go to machine shop to remove the bolts. I've blasted and heated Nada...

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ah glad to hear. The crankshaft position sensor is the #1 culprit on these twin cam motors. Picture it as the pick up coil/ points on earlier engines. So much is depending on that one part. Again glad you figured it out. Bet you wanted to open a beer after you heard it run!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The crank sensor was the main culprit that kept it from starting. The ecm uses the signal for TDC on #1 cylinder to calculate when to fire the plugs and inject fuel for each of the cylinders. Along with input from the cam sensor(s) the ecm determines which stroke the pistons are on.