Noise on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I was a kid a friend of mine worked a gas station and he put engine oil in an auto trans. (don't remember any more about it.)

IIRC, Honda cars from the late 80's (possibly longer) used engine oil for their transmissions.

To OP, not mentioned and read the entire thread. Possibly too late, but is a crate motor possibly in the equation? Or too much?

I have spent a few grand for repairs/improvements after I bought my '03 5.4 EB 2WD. A fair 144k miles. I'd seriously consider for my truck a reman engine. Engine cost, plus labor (I have an insanely inexpensive indy shop, but great on work) very close to $3K+'ish, not adding core or taxes if applicable. Everything else on the '03 is running great.

Of course there could be other weak links down the road, but that's the way it works with cars/trucks with mileage.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IIRC, Honda cars from the late 80's (possibly longer) used engine oil for their transmissions.

To OP, not mentioned and read the entire thread. Possibly too late, but is a crate motor possibly in the equation? Or too much?

I have spent a few grand for repairs/improvements after I bought my '03 5.4 EB 2WD. A fair 144k miles. I'd seriously consider for my truck a reman engine. Engine cost, plus labor (I have an insanely inexpensive indy shop, but great on work) very close to $3K+'ish, not adding core or taxes if applicable. Everything else on the '03 is running great.

Of course there could be other weak links down the road, but that's the way it works with cars/trucks with mileage.

I checked with ford for a engine swap. They wanted $9k for what I assume was a new one. Looked at junkyard engines that were in $2k range, and of course that’s not counting pulling old and installing it.

From what it sounds like...the 5.4’s are stout engines other than the freaking tensioners and cam phasers. If I can get both done for $2500...it seems most everything else should be sorted out on my rig. (Knock on wood). The last thing I want to do is get the fluids swapped for transfer case and diffs...but that’s not mission critical at this moment.

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I checked with ford for a engine swap. They wanted $9k for what I assume was a new one. Looked at junkyard engines that were in $2k range, and of course that’s not counting pulling old and installing it.

From what it sounds like...the 5.4’s are stout engines other than the freaking tensioners and cam phasers. If I can get both done for $2500...it seems most everything else should be sorted out on my rig. (Knock on wood). The last thing I want to do is get the fluids swapped for transfer case and diffs...but that’s not mission critical at this moment.

Understood. Like you, I have on the 'radar' other fluid flush.

Just for S & G's, I was looking at these folks - https://www.powertrainproducts.net/Ford-5-4-Engine-s/803.htm

Can't recommend them as have not used them. Seems like a decent option if my 5.4 needs a costly repair. I wouldn't tackle at my place since they would not allow repairs at my complex - and don't have access to a garage either for repairs. Sucks.

And I too have heard these engines can be good if well maintained. I'm also glad gas in my area is sub $2.00 range. Just topped off at $1.83/gal. :)

t_bois

Reaction score
Was using 5w20 and recently switched to 5w30. Primarily when it’s cold at start up. It only lasts 2-3 seconds. It’ll randomly do it when it’s hot but it’s far less common.

Who did the work for you? Dealer? Independent shop?

t_bois

Reaction score
WOW! This post just move right along. So I had a local shop do the work. I had them use all Ford parts and I order a milling oil pump. I still have a bit of a knock when the motors cold but I'll live with that for now. I really wanted to get another 50K out of this thing so I can buy a newer one with the 10 speed tranny.

t_bois

Reaction score
Here is the quote from my original post

"So what oil are you using? 5w10 or 10w 30? Is this when it's cold or hot or does it sound like that all the time?

I just spent 3K on new timing chains, cam phasers, and the rest of all the associated parts plus a new oil hi pressure pump."

I'm now fixing other misc. issues like Blend Door actuators.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is the quote from my original post

"So what oil are you using? 5w10 or 10w 30? Is this when it's cold or hot or does it sound like that all the time?

I just spent 3K on new timing chains, cam phasers, and the rest of all the associated parts plus a new oil hi pressure pump."

I'm now fixing other misc. issues like Blend Door actuators.

Is the knock while running or at start up only?

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's on start up when it's cold and it's been sitting. when it's warm it sounds normal.

Wow that’s interesting...Esp since you had all that replaced. Thank you for responding!

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's on start up when it's cold and it's been sitting. when it's warm it sounds normal.
That's because when it sits the oil drains out of the leaking tensioner and is refilled when you start it. When it's cold it all takes a bit longer which gives the timing chain time to slap against the guides since the guide that is pushed by the leaking tensioner hasn't put any tension on the chain yet. 2 of the 4 guides are moved by the 2 tensioners and the other 2 are just acting as guides and don't move. The worse the tensioner leak is the longer the chain will slap because it takes more of an effort to fill the leaking tensioner. The plastic on the guides will eventually break up with all the pounding but it could take some time. Again; the guides on my Ford v-10 were like new after 200,000+ miles and 2 winters of slapping due to a blown out o-ring in one tensioner. It's always just one that blows out and it's like getting 2 flats at the same time; it just doesn't happen.