Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidber

Reaction score
Hello.

First off, I am mechanically declined and do better with a keyboard than I do a screwdriver!

I have a 2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition. The other day it started to make a very odd noise. In fact, a relatively loud noise. On the passenger side, in the back of the engine area there is a noise. The noise though is very odd. It only occurs in idle. When the truck gas pedal is pushed the sound disappears. I was not sure of this, as the engine noise generally kills everything, but this seems to be the case.

This truck has 116k miles on it and has had, imo, a lot of work done to it. The air suspension - lift thing is gone. The bags crapped out and springs were just put in it's place. It also leaked/ate oil like no tomorrow and had the manifold, water pump, pcv valve, plugs, etc. changed. It has also gone through 4 ignition coils.

Honestly, other than terrible gas mileage, the truck is fine. Considering it gets driven about 3-4k miles per year the mileage is the biggest complaint the wife has. Anyone have any idea what this noise could be?

Thanks!

dave

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
would really help if you could describe the noise a bit more. like a rattling? hissing? banging? grinding? whirring? cat in a blender screeching???

If you have a video cam, maybe try to catch it on tape and upload it so we can hear it...