not an owner..yet. But still have questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whowey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all. Long time motorhead. I used to be a Ford blue guy, but family and lifestyle needs stopped that.

I'm looking at newer trucks to be able to haul stuff and my family. But the newer P/Us are pretty pricey. Something inside of me won't let me make payments on a truck higher than my mortgage payments.

So I found a 2001 Expy EB sitting a dealer nearby me. It is unbelievably clean and nice for being a salt belt truck.

I found a vin decoder online and I had a question about the output from it.

Brake Type and GVWR Class - 4th Position:
Brake System: • Hydraulic brake system, Class 7, GVWR 26,001-33,000 pounds, Air Bags

I stuck my head under the truck to check the rear and look for evidence of the tow package as the dealer had no idea what I was talking about.

The output from the decoder has me a bit confused. I did not see any airbags on the tops of the rear springs.

The rear axle was not a Ford 8.8.. it looked like the pictures I have found of the Sterling 9.75. Were these axles available in these??

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
More than likely, at some point someone swapped the air ride for springs. The air ride suspension is notorious for being very expensive and difficult to repair, so instead they opt for a conversion kit to remedy the problem. Look behind the front bumper, if you see a small radiator, the truck has the tow package. It is a transmission cooler that only came with the HD towing pkg. Make sure to check the rockers, bottoms of the doors, and insides of the wheel fenders. That is where rusting is most common on these. Also check the rear trailing arms, you will see them extending from a bracket in front of the rear tire to the rear axle. Those things like to get salt and snow packed into the middle of them and rust clean through. Here is a website for figuring out the axle ratio based on the door tag code:

What rear end ratio is in my Ford , do I have positraction? - Drivetrain.com

Sorry I do not know for sure if they are the 8.8 or 9.75. I am sure someone else will chime in to let you know.

Last edited:

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Let me first say that there is not an expedition on the planet that qualifies as a class 7 truck. That size is for school buses, medium duty tow trucks, and large box trucks. second when it refers to the type of brake system, it is in relation to the class 7 rating. That means it could have hydraulic or air brakes. That was probably a truck decoder, not a passenger vehicle decoder.

The 8.8 looks like a rounded square at the cover. The 9.75 looks like a weird shape.

OP
OP
W

whowey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Did not know a tranny cooler is part of the towing package. I will have to run back down there and stick my head under the front of the truck.

I didn't think that even loaded you would be able to get a GVWR over 26,001 on an Expy. But my wife will have to drive it once in a while, I don't want her to have that concern.

I know what an 8.8 looks like. I have had them in my last two P/U's and helped swap a number of them into Jeeps in place of Dana 35's. The cover on this axle reminds me of a Dana 60. Its a larger cover than a Dana 44, but has the same shape of the lid with the ring gear protruding into the cover. But its not as large as a Dana 60. That is why I thought it might be the Sterling 9.75. The cover looks like the picture on Randy's Ring and Pinion website.

mazdaparts

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There should be 2 tags on the diff cover bolts. One usually says synthetic fluid only and gives the weight of the fluid. The other has the info you are looking for. Numbers like 3L55 is limited slip 3.55 ratio, and 88 is the 8.8 or 975 is the 9.75. There are other numbers on there as well. Sometimes there is a bolt head covering a number, but you can figure it out. If someone has removed the tag, that tells you someone has been into the diff for some reason. It could have been serviced (ex. drain and fill), or repaired (ex. rebuilt the limited slip clutches) Good luck.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Did not know a tranny cooler is part of the towing package. I will have to run back down there and stick my head under the front of the truck.

I didn't think that even loaded you would be able to get a GVWR over 26,001 on an Expy. But my wife will have to drive it once in a while, I don't want her to have that concern.

I know what an 8.8 looks like. I have had them in my last two P/U's and helped swap a number of them into Jeeps in place of Dana 35's. The cover on this axle reminds me of a Dana 60. Its a larger cover than a Dana 44, but has the same shape of the lid with the ring gear protruding into the cover. But its not as large as a Dana 60. That is why I thought it might be the Sterling 9.75. The cover looks like the picture on Randy's Ring and Pinion website.

If the cover looks like a Dana 60, then you have the 9.75. I'm not sure who makes it but that is the rear end you have then.

For a GVWR of 26001 and up, you need at least a class B license to drive it except if it classified as a motorhome.

OP
OP
W

whowey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the cover looks like a Dana 60, then you have the 9.75. I'm not sure who makes it but that is the rear end you have then.

For a GVWR of 26001 and up, you need at least a class B license to drive it except if it classified as a motorhome.

Once again thanks....

I have found the axle referred to Ford 9.75 and Sterling 9.75 both. But my local parts house called it a Sterling, so that is what I have been using. Realistically its the same thing.

I understand the weight requirements and licensing. Hence when I saw that in the vin decoding, I asked.

One more quick question for now...

I see a number of folks using the Accel replacement COP. In the Jeepin' world Accel coils do not have a good reputation due to them being damaged by heat and vibration. Are they the same in these trucks., or are they tougher?

OP
OP
W

whowey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Still... looking at the same Expy...

Surprisingly the axle tag is still there and readable.

The second line says 3L55 975 Bxxx

So according to everything I found this axle is a 3.55 geared limited slip Ford 9.75.

But that leads me to another question. It has a aux transmission cooler and a power steering cooler. But the reading I found shows that often an Expy with the HD towing package would have had 3.73 gears.

Could 3.55s be had in the towing package?? How bad is towing a 5~6k trailer with 3.55s and the auto tranny?? I used to have a F-250 with the 351, a manual tranny and 3.55s and it would go.. just not very fast, topped out around 65.

Also... who makes decent aftermarket trailing arms??? I found a rust hole the size of a pen tip in the ones on this Expy???

OP
OP
W

whowey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now an owner... 01 EB.... darn sexy

Well after reading tons here, I found an 01 Eddie Bauer completely loaded right down to the towing package.

121502_155700.jpg

481795_508556515844499_1505171397_n.jpg

I actually managed to leave it alone for 24 hours.. this has to be a record for how long I have left a vehicle that way.

577803_508874022479415_820406506_n.jpg

That brake controller has now been in about 5 or 6 different trucks for me. This was the easiest install ever. The PO had holes in the lower fascia that matched and the wiring plugs from Hayes plugged in exactly in my truck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2