Not sure what I Fixed/Broke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snozberries

Reaction score
I learned some valuable lessons today. 1. Fix one thing at a time... 2. Read this forum before fixing anything.

So My Expy has this loud rumble/vibration that you feel in the seat... but its difficult to pinpoint. I wouldn't be suprised if it ended up coming from the engine even though it feels like its coming from underneath (transmission). So I looked around the forum and found an amazing write up on checking and fixing sensors. I didn't have an ohm meter or anything... so I thought I'd just clean the sensors/valves that can be cleaned. Since I already cleaned the IAC, I decided to clean the EGR valve next. I sprayed the crap outta the thing ( then read later to not get throttle body cleaner on the motor... oops.) Then I thought.... well who knows the last time the transmission fluid has been changed. So I drained it and the TC and refilled it. Holy cow I had to make three trips to O'reillys, that thing holds a ton of fluid.

Started it up.... Vibration gone! 100% resolution. The thing sounded and felt like a prius when I was sitting in the driver's seat compared to before. I assumed it had to be the transmission fluid because the fluid I had drained looked like montezuma's revenge. My wife drove it to work today and when she came home she told me the vibration was back... and sure enough it was.

So I'm thinking it can't have anything to do with the transmission. If changing the fluid was what fixed the problem it wouldn't just come back a day later right? So I'm thinking maybe cleaning the EGR valve fixed the problem... but because I sprayed throttle body cleaner all up inside the thing I caused some type of damage that took a day to develop.

What do you guys think. I guess I'll find out quick when I replace the EGR... but I learn lots every time I ask a question on here, so it can't hurt to ask.

Thanks!

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So put vacuum to the egr valve and see if it stumbles while idling. It should. Could be sticking.

OP
OP
S

snozberries

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys....

So it is most noticable when I'm in drive with the foot on the brake not moving. When I shift to park it gets noticeably quieter. When I put it in drive or reverse from park it almost sounds closer to a diesel than a gas V8 in the cabin. The sound/vibration may remain at higher speeds and I'm just not noticing it... it is a pretty significant rumble though so I personally feel that it goes away once I accelerate.

At the risk of asking the dumbest question ever.... how do I put vacuum to the EGR? I mean I understand the basics of what a vacuum is and generally how vacuum lines work... haha I'm just picturing someone sucking on the port of an egr valve to create a vacuum. Or is it just as simple as covering the port? Please excuse the dumb question.

Thanks everybody!

vigman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And plug the hose you removed with a pencil or other weapon of choice.. prior to restart