OBD II port issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fubar

Reaction score
my obd II port will not activate. I'm plugging in an sct xcal2 and it won't activate. I tried it on another expeditoon and it came on so it's not broken. I read somewhere that the fuse that powers the power sockets also powers the obd II port so I changed them out. It still won't work. Any ideas? It's a 98 5.4 4x4

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you check to see if there is power at the port?
I have heard of OBD ports not reading but I can't seem to remember why???
Sorry, good luck

OP
OP
F

Fubar

Reaction score
It won't power up the xcal, but the power outlets are working just fine

OP
OP
F

Fubar

Reaction score
I believe so, it won't even power up when plugged in. We tried it on an f150 and it came on right away

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you sure that the fuse isn;t blown also make sure it's getting the reqiured amount of power( multi metre) not just power( light probe)

OP
OP
F

Fubar

Reaction score
I replaced both fuses for the power ports in the dash. What other fuse could be tied to the obd II?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking at the under dash DLC connector, which should be wider at the bottom than the top, the lower row of pins are numbered 1-8. The upper row is numbered 9-16. The numbering order is from right to left on both rows. Pin 16 is hot at all times, has two fuses, one in the central junction box (20A #3) the other in the battery junction box(50A #103). There is a connector between the two fuses - one of the 3 large ones on the firewall.
The grounds are pins 4 & 5.

This is from my 99 Expy manual and should be the same on yours.