Odometer stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the old style non digital odometer and it has stopped rotating. The trip meter isn't working either. It did reset to 0 when I pushed the button but it didn't move forward. The speedometer works fine. Any ideas?

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
time to pull the odometer apart and replace the $25 gear. mine did the same thing just before hitting 300k (299925 miles to be exact) Odometer Gears - Ford - Expedition

pretty simple replacement. just disassemble the cluster up to the point that you get the back part off and can see the gearing. keep track of your mileage somehow as you can roll the mileage forward when you get into it.

OP
OP
98EXPnSRQ

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. Mine made it to 99,321. I was all excited to see it break the 100,000 mark and it seemed to be taking forever to get there until I noticed it stopped turning.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well at least yours broke a big mark and didn't die 5k later like mine did... pass bank headgasket puking oil/coolant out and exhaust in coolant. cant even keep coolant in it. just pukes it all out the bottle. top it off? it failed the night that I did the hid projector retrofit that took near 13 hours.

OP
OP
98EXPnSRQ

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got it replaced and working again. It wasn't hard to do just tedious taking the cluster apart. I had to use a small hammer to tap the new gear on and that made me nervous.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
no problem. I am suprised it's not a sticky or just not in a thread of common problems. I got a taurus to get me by while the expy is down (head gaskets) and there is a huuge thread there about just little things that are common. except for the couple things I need fixed. nothing on that lol

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but my odometer just stopped working and a search brought this thread up. $25 for the itty bitty plastic screw seems a bit pricy but I guess I have no choice. Anyone got a link on how to get the cluster out?
Happened at 127K miles, 1997 5.4 4X4
20170717_124809.jpg

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I got the gauge cluster out and apart. Sure enough, that plastic worm gear is in two pieces. So I ordered a new plastic worm gear, $30.32 shipped to me. Freakin' piece of plastic smaller than a penny cost over $30!!!

20210609_153212 (2).jpg