# of New Expeditions Sold Keeps Dropping :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff1998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't forget guys, a lot of the 99's are still on the road with 150,000+ miles and still run great. Why buy a new one when the old one still runs and looks great?? I think the gas thing at $3++ a gallon is the biggest factor though. Also who has 45-50K laying around anymore for a gas hog SUV. Most people realized they did not NEED an 8 passenger boat to commute to work alone in. Unemployment was low in 1999 also.

Last edited:

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
prices are all over in Tampabay area. Tonight I passed one station that was $3.25 - one mile later another was $3.38. Keep in mind the Expy also has a lot more competition nowadays than back then. There are a lot of mid sized sport utilities that you can get with V8 power for towing. Back then the Expy was very desirable (and really still is today-just more money) because it was one of the few vehicles that you could put an entire family in and still tow a camper or decent sized boat comfortable. Also - true four door pickups were not that common back then, people were still making jokes about pickups with four doors, check your dealer lot today and you would be hard pressed to find a standard cab. My thoughts, Mike.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
True but the expedition is somewhat different since it's not like Ford has any other choices for an SUV whereas they have lots of choices for sedans. The Expedition is Fords only SUV (built on a truck platform) at the moment and they need to do something to save it since the numbers haven't been tampering off and instead continue to drop. I mean common, only 10% of the original sales volume?

Isn't the explore a SUV too?

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah it is. but its small. if you want small then get a HEEP! yes HEEP! they need a diesel. but JEEEZZZ! GAS SUCK! almost $4.00 here! average around my area is $3.69.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just saw the new redesigned EXPLORER...looks VERY NICE!!! some guy was test driving it...made me want to get one but as panda stated....small...still...it looked good.

Cousin Eddie

Reaction score
Let's not forget the economic hell this country has been through the past three years. I am sure that has something to do with dwindling sales

Thrumcap

Reaction score
I think a lot has to do with the fact that Ford appears to be letting the Expedition die on the vine by not updating it with the latest technology and engine choices. Let's face it- the current Expedition is looking a bit long in the tooth also. As for the effect of gas prices, I would think that would be even more motivation to offer more fuel efficient powertrains. Why not the V6 Ecoboost being used in the F150? i'm in the market for a vehicle like the Expedition and I would like to buy a Ford however I won't be paying that much $$$ for old technology.

Last edited: