Oil Cooler Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fourth or last diagram with the water to oil cooler circled in red is the one I got in my '97. Sgtowing, I would prefer to go with the factory adapter without the cooler in diagram 2 and plumb the Earl's cooler into new hoses in front by the radiator if I didn't already have the Trans Dapt, which will be much easier to set up than trying to install the factory one on the engine while it's in the truck. I ordered the Earl's AN -8 cooler, part# 21608AERL from my local speed shop. The Saab cooler definitely won't flow with the half inch hose from the Trans Dapt. I'd rather have air to oil than my '97's water to oil.
I think my '05 is like diagram one without any cooler or remote, except it's more pointed towards the front at a 45 degree angle. Rburch, the diagrams you posted have been very helpful. I thank you again.

ramiro

Reaction score
please help, i need to find the replacement part for my f150, year 1998.....hope you can help me telling me what is the part number so i can find and buy it

1.jpeg

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The small radiator on the driver side is a power steering cooler. I looked at me 04. The small cooler on the passenger side is an six tranny cooler. I have yet to see a oil cooler from factory.

CJ

OP
OP
D

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You don't see an oil cooler from the factory because we're
used to seeing a oil radiator, which is the common "air to oil" cooler. In the diagrams supplied by rburch you will see the adapters between the oil filter and engine block with an engine coolant hose barb. The '05 oilfilter attaches to this and the '97 oil filter is remote, but in both cases, Ford
supplied these engines with water to oil coolers, which
is the prefered method on late model vehicles, especially
diesels.