oil dipstick problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aka rotten

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2000 expy-4.6,No problems at all really cept one with me!Change oil every 3000 miles and i know probally unnessery but its got 160,plus thousand and problem is i cant see level on oil dipstick.sounds stuiped i know but oil clear and dipstick dark as the devil.Every time i want to check before trip i hafta get other people to look and most of them cant see it.Is it my old eyes or is it a problem with anybody else,?Thought bout painting stick and marking full line better,all i see is two circles but still dont see level even after just having it changed.Am i nuts?Paul

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What about just getting a new dipstick? Sometimes I have to flip it over to estimate the level, then flip it back to the hashed side to see where it falls in the grid.

I know some of the oils are really clear when fresh and its difficult to tell. It gets dirty pretty quickly so its easy to see then.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is the same way. I take a paper towel from the gas station dispenser and wrap it around the end (don't rub it back and forth) and then compare the oil level that is on the towel to my dipstick. Isn't perfect, but it works well enough to make sure you aren't running a quart low.