Oil Drain Plug Gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JNT1

Reaction score
2013 Expedition.

Does the oil drain plug have any type of gasket, rubber or metal? Changing the oil for the first time on my new to me 2013 and there is no gasket. I thought my 2005 had a metal gasket.

Thanks!

Joe

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just did an oil change on my 2014 last week, I do not recall a gasket on the drain plug.

Brianstl

Reaction score
I have a 2012 model and new to me as well. Had the engine flushed and developed a oil drip at the drain plug. The plug had a metal washer. I ordered a OEM plug and it does have a gasket on the back side of the shoulder of the plug. Stopped the drip. And yes you can replace it without losing oil.

OP
OP
J

JNT1

Reaction score
I have a 2012 model and new to me as well. Had the engine flushed and developed a oil drip at the drain plug. The plug had a metal washer. I ordered a OEM plug and it does have a gasket on the back side of the shoulder of the plug. Stopped the drip. And yes you can replace it without losing oil.

Thanks Briastl and everyone. After looking at my plug and comparing to pictures online I see that it does have a the built in gasket you are referring to. The previous owner had installed the drain plus super tight. I was wondering if they were trying to keep it from leaking.

I don't have any leaks after changing the oil but I may go ahead a replace the plug next oil change as it seemed a bit worn.

Joe

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Briastl and everyone. After looking at my plug and comparing to pictures online I see that it does have a the built in gasket you are referring to. The previous owner had installed the drain plus super tight. I was wondering if they were trying to keep it from leaking.

I don't have any leaks after changing the oil but I may go ahead a replace the plug next oil change as it seemed a bit worn.

Joe
Novices tighten them to the point of stripping them because they are afraid of losing all their oil and blowing up their engine. They are always way to cautious and it's annoying sometimes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thegerb50