Oil filter housing gasket.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uscgmac

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having my oil filter housing gasket changed out today. Started a small leak not too long ago. Noticed a few drips in the driveway. This started after having my oil changed and going from 5w 30 to 5w 20. Don't know if the thinner oil had anything to do with it or not. Having a local independent shop do it. I asked them if they think that it could of contributed to the leak and they asked me why I was using such a thin oil with my mileage. My last oil change was done at the ford dealership because they had a two for one special and they said they would only put in the recommended oil weight of 5w 20. Anyway I'm having the leak fixed. Could have done it myself but it's winter and I don't have a lift or garage to do it inside of. The shop said they will include a full oil change with the price of changing the gasket and use 10w 30 oil. What do you guys think of using 10w 30 in a 4.6l expy with 155k on the clock? They are also changing out my belt. Price seemed a little high but I'm also in New York on long island where everything is expensive. Price quoted is 375.00 plus additional 80.00 for the belt. That includes the coolant, gasket, and oil change plus the belt job which I wanted in addition.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have them use high mileage oil made to help things like that. My wife’s van has 230k miles same problem/question I live in Ky not near as cold. Ask about 5-30 what I run in hers. The 5/10 is cold viscosity the 20/30 is warm viscosity. So far huge help. With hers it was when warm the leak was there ie coming home after driving. When sitting nothing so the lower number ment nothing. Check out https://bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/
Gives a better understanding

Here is the main page might be there or ask they will tell you more.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

OP
OP
U

uscgmac

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mechanic just finished up, he's keeping it overnight to test drive in morning, he didn't have enough time to give it a propper test ride and didn't just want to give it back without thourouly testing everything and rushing to get it back tonight. When he called he said while doing the belt he noticed I was missing the belt idle pulley. I bought the truck used and never noticed it. Been driving it about for the last 5000 miles without any problems other then this oil leak he just fixed. Anyone know how important this pulley is and why I might be missing it. It's a little strange to just be missing a pulley. He said I could just leave it or have him put one on. He just doesn't have the correct bolt and asked if I can go to ford and get one and he'll just throw it in for me.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From my understanding it’s like a “ buffer “ keeps the correct tension and alignment between things. Similar to the altnator tension in new alrnators. If not there just a shorter belt is all that’s needed.