Oil leak after oil pan/timing chain cover repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I brought my '11 EL to Ford to get a few warranty repairs done, including repair of a small timing chain cover leak. FYI this leak was discovered by an independent mechanic; I have never had so much as a drop of anything other than water under my truck. When Ford had the car on the lift they said they noticed a small oil pan leak as well, so they went ahead and fixed both.

Finally after having my truck for 2 weeks they said it was ready. I went to pick it up and found a puddle of oil about 4-5" in diameter under the engine on the right side of the vehicle. The tech who did the work came out and stated that he believed it was AC compressor oil. They kept the truck and had a look at it again today. While it was running the tech found no leak. He parked it, went and had a look later, and there was another puddle. They're keeping it yet another day and I am almost certain they are going to attempt to give the truck back without fixing it. I am certain that the leak is somehow related to the work he performed, since not once in 7 months did I ever have a drop of anything under the engine. Thoughts?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They can find the leak by putting it on the lift and inspecting it. Don't take any be from them about it.
I had to do that on school buses on a weekly basis so it is easily accomplished.

OP
OP
K

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They're giving me BS about all sorts of things. The other day the tech and service writer sat in my car and we discussed some of the issues that they had addressed. The tech - too honest to ever be promoted - tells me he heard the squealing I was talking about near the drive belt and thinks one or more of my pulleys is bad. The service writer says they'll look at it. Today when he calls he tells me they didn't look at it, but they don't need to be because there isn't any noise. Um, what?

Anyway, back to the issue at hand ... He claims it was on the lift and they couldn't find the leak. He has since added dye and parked it with the intent of checking it in the AM. Of course they won't call me until it's 4PM when I'm at work with my boss standing there and have to politely say "OK, I see." instead of "You're full of s**t!"

Matt63

Reaction score
If you're not satisfied, take it to another Dealership ASAP. I have a Taurus with the 3.0 Duratec and brought it to my "Regular" dealership for an oil leak. Service writer said the engine needed to come out and be "Resealed". They probably figured long time customer, he'll go for it. Nope...Brought it to another dealer and it was the oil pan gasket. Not a drop of oil in 2 years now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're not satisfied, take it to another Dealership ASAP. I have a Taurus with the 3.0 Duratec and brought it to my "Regular" dealership for an oil leak. Service writer said the engine needed to come out and be "Resealed". They probably figured long time customer, he'll go for it. Nope...Brought it to another dealer and it was the oil pan gasket. Not a drop of oil in 2 years now.

Well if I do that I will pay my warranty deductible again. Also, I only have 2 other Ford dealerships even remotely nearby. One is 30 minutes in the opposite direction of work and the other is over an hour away. I am also fairly certain that this dealership caused the problem so they have an obligation to fix it.

OP
OP
K

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well they finally found the leak and it turned out to be motor oil as I said, not AC compressor oil as the tech thought. When the tech put the cover back on he failed to clean the edges and a piece of rust got wedged between the connecting edges; the oil was leaking out of there. Pretty sloppy work to begin with, but now fixed.