Oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steve66

Reaction score
I've got a 99 expy EB 5.4 that has got a oil leak on top of the block(standing oil).Any ideas what might be causing this or where it could be ******* from?

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did the 5.4's have the same head gasket problem the 4.6's did in '99?
If it were a 4.6, I would say head gasket for sure...

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I've got a 99 expy EB 5.4 that has got a oil leak on top of the block(standing oil).Any ideas what might be causing this or where it could be ******* from?

Standing oil in the valley can easily be oil that did not make it into the fill tube when oil was added or changed.

The valley really does not drain so....

You would have to clean it really well and water will evaporate. Then you can monitor, if it does indeed leak, where it may be coming from. Some candidates would be valve covers, pvc grommet, pvc hose, oil fill tube gasket (o-ring), intake, etc.....

Word of warning: Take great care not to get water near the cops (may be impossible), or plan to remove them and blow compressed air down the plug wells and make sure they are completely dry before re-installed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

steve66

Reaction score
its leaking 2.5 quarts per 3000 miles.I started cleaning it up to see, was just wondering if any one else went through this