Oil on front of motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lee9144

Reaction score
Hello everyone I need help I have a 1997 Expedition with 125.000 miles. It is now losing oil from some where from the front of the motor. I had not to long ago had to replace the belt because the old one had broken when i was driving. And thats when I started to see the front of the motor covered in oil. I checked the valve covers they are not leaking. If someone has a idea what it may be. And would it be an expensive fix. Was quoted $4000.00 for a remanufactured motor....Thanks for any help

masterhacker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wow 4k is a rip off, for that price by me you could get performance pistons, performance cams, head work and probably bigger injectors on your motor. as for your leak do you have a oil cooler? maybe oil pan gasket? to be completely honest i have almost no experience playing with ford modular v8's so im kinda guessing here....

check out what you can get for a engine under 3K:
http://www.modularmustangracing.com/mmr_15.htm

That sort of sounds like a few shops I took my chevy truck to they were saying $1200+ for a rebuild. I found a local tranny shop that allot of the shops send their trannys to and they only wanted like $500 so basically the extra $700 was what they charged to send it to them

Last edited:

DR3W

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a suupppeeer slow leak near where my oil filter screws in. But its a lill left of it. Just that area leaks down onto my subframe... But not major enough where im losing oil..

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
lee, when you say the front of the engine, can you be a little more specific? Is it up high near the heads or are we looking much further down near the harmonic balancer? that will help me figure out where your problem most likely is. My quick gut tells me you had the belt hit the timing chain housing and that has now developed a slight leak. Unfortuantely, to fix that, you are going to have to pretty much pull off the entire front part of the engine. About a 3-4 hour job.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you could get some pictures of the leak or a better description of the leak, we can help out more. How much oil are you losing? I also think it is the timing chain cover or possibly the front seal. The timing chain cover is very large and covers the entire front of the engine, so that is what I would think is more likely the problem than a seal going.

OP
OP
L

lee9144

Reaction score
The leak is above the oil pan and below the alternator, and seem to be in the center of the motor. And when I put the A/C on I can smell burning oil and a cloud of smoke behind me. But not from being burned in the motor, and when I look at the motor it's covered in oil.