Complete change of engine on Expedition 2017

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benjaminr

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I coming to seek help and advice from the community.
I live in Kuwait (middle east) and i bought a second hand Expedition 2017 last week. The car has 90 000 km and I've made two car inspections in two different garages before buying the car.
The car costed me 16000$. Now comes the big issue, after driving it two times, the car lost all the oil while being parked and the engine started heating up. So i towed it to ford official garage. After inspection they give me a quotation of 10 000$ to change the whole engine block and the radiator... Long story short, the guy was a complete scam, he managed to hide a internal leak during both inspection by changing the oil and the water coolant tank. I'm in a very difficult situation. I will of course sue the previous owner and the garages but that doesn't solve my technical issue. Ford said that the engine is completely contaminated, there is not point opening up since i will be impossible to clean every single part and the price of opening/cleaning/fixing/reassembly will be around 8000$.

Fixing the car in an outside garage here in Kuwait is extremely risky since there are no standards and not many qualified people you can trust.
What I'm thinking to do accepting the quotation from Ford and starting with a new engine.

But here comes my question: Can the Turbos be damaged by coolant/oil mix issue?
I've seen online that turbos on Ecoboost 3.5l are cooled by the coolant, is this true? Do you risk facing an turbo overheating issue?

Ford garage cannot help me since they can't test the turbos without changing the engine first...

I'm afraid that I will have to change both turbos after changing the engine.

Thank you for reading me,
Benjamin

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The biggest issue is if the coolant mixed with the engine oil, the oil lubricates the turbos, so if the turbos have been seeing a mixture of oil and water, it could have done serious damage to the turbo bearings. So the simple answer is yes, this failure could have seriously damaged the turbos, a lot will depend on how long the car was driven with this condition, but in all likely hood you will need to replace/service the turbos. Sorry for the bad news, turbos are high precision items spinning at very high speeds and are very sensitive to lubrication issues. Hope you get some success with the litigation.

OP
OP
B

benjaminr

Reaction score
Thank you Gary for you reply.
It actually helps a lot since I will have to decide to keep the car after reparations or not.

Regards,
Benjamin

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani