OK- I hate to do this. But I gotta get better headlights in my 2009 EXP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure its been confirmed that "Spyder" and "Anzo" assemblies vs their "knockoffs" are actually 100% identical and made by the same Asian manufacturer on the same assembly line.... just different stickers and different price tags on the box getting them direct vs. getting them thru a US badge-engineering reseller

I keep thinking about buying the spyder assemblies but am worried about the light output. $400 ain’t cheap to drop on seomthing i don’t know works.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I keep thinking about buying the spyder assemblies but am worried about the light output. $400 ain’t cheap to drop on seomthing i don’t know works.

I think there's an unbranded version for like $190

And pretty sure there was a post with Spyders here somewhere....oh right, didnt that guy who wrapped his 3rd gen in baby blue sparkle vinyl have spyders?

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Retros work and cost less than $400 if you do the work yourself. Get a threaded shaft projector and it's easy stuff!

Pretty sure he wants spyders for the Ubar look, not just to get any old projector

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Pretty sure he wants spyders for the Ubar look, not just to get any old projector
I can understand that but imo they really dont look good amd function worse than they look. But whatever satisfies him is all that matters

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another vote for HID bulbs behind a proper projector lens. I have the factory projectors on my ‘15 EL Limited. Not all of the ‘15 and later trucks have the projectors, it’s an option upgrade or a trim level specific upgrade. I think Limited and higher trims have them. Anyway, I’m thrilled with my HID bulbs behind my factory projectors. I bought a 55watt HID bulb set from Andy and I’m looking forward to installing them. I’ll take my 35watt bulbs out of my truck and put them in my tour Bus which also has projectors and uses the same bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, it seems the Limiteds have "projectors" and the mere XLTs like my 2017 have "reflectors." Retrofitting projectors looks like a lot of money!' To be honest I thought all "projectors" had HIDs behind them but not so.

-- Chuck
I know everybody says not to do it but I had HIDs in my standard reflectors on my 05 with no problems. I just had to make sure they were aimed properly. They provided great visibility.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can’t speak for Andy’s experience, some reflectors are designed so well that actually have a cutoff similar to a projector so maybe in those housings an HID bulb could work, but at the end of the day, my personal thought is to install the HID bulbs, and then have a friend drive your truck at night while you drive towards it in another vehicle and be really really honest with yourself as to whether you are comfortable with how bright they are to oncoming drivers....and repeat to yourself the Golden Rule over and over again.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I can’t speak for Andy’s experience, some reflectors are designed so well that actually have a cutoff similar to a projector so maybe in those housings an HID bulb could work, but at the end of the day, my personal thought is to install the HID bulbs, and then have a friend drive your truck at night while you drive towards it in another vehicle and be really really honest with yourself as to whether you are comfortable with how bright they are to oncoming drivers....and repeat to yourself the Golden Rule over and over again.

I've seen Andy's output shots and their actually not bad. I was pleasantly surprised but they werent perfect. But adding them to a reflector is just a big NO in my book.

Last edited: