old oil dripping from shield below oil filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wpatters1229

Reaction score
I just did an oil change on the 5.4L engine. A real crazy job to reach up to get the filter. Got it out but naturally, oil drips down through the mechanisms below the filter. There is a black plastics shield looking thing that most of the oil drips off of. I cleaned all of that after putting in the new filter. I took the expedition out for a spin and parked. There is a small amount of black old oil dripping down from that shield. Not a lot but when does that stop? Is that normal? Never had any oil leaks before.
I have to assume that this is some leftover old oil that got on parts from removing the filter.
Anyone else have that problem?

One other point. I did not have any problems putting in the new filter. I would have to assume that if it was a leaking filter that the oil would not be black but clear like new oil.

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use the pull handle from the hatch and found it is the perfect size to both loosen and tighten. Mine leaks on the front diff when removing oil filter. You must have rwd. Try using the pull handle and get that filter on hand tight as you can. It will bottom out once the rubber is compressed. There a difference in presue to rotate it any more when it bottoms out. Dont over tighten it and damage your block obviously. Another nice thing about that pull strap from the hatch is that it doesnt really overtighten it easily.

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you weren't leaking oil before the filter change, you probably aren't now. It only takes a quarter turn past hand tight to seal the filter. The plastic drip shield doesn't catch all the oil. You may have some on the front differential, steering, or on some of the brackets. If it continues for very long, then check it out, but your probably OK.

OP
OP
W

wpatters1229

Reaction score
You are right...I know, show this comment to your wife!! It stopped after a while. It just amazes me how engineers can design the placement of a filter in such a terrible place. I know it can be done better. I have a large chevy v8 in an RV that has the oil filter right next to the oil pan so when you do an oil change both the drain plug and filter are right next to each other. Ford could learn from Chevy!! Thanks for the reply.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I always had the same problem with the 2000. Just always make sure the rubber gasket comes off with the old filter. Always put some oil on the new gasket so it doesn't bind up and deform when twisting tight. About the only time one will leak is if there are two gaskets stuck on there.

The V-8 Explorers are worse. They have a plastic dam that the flowing oil hits and sprays around like a lawn sprinkler.