Paint Bubbling, We need EVERYONE to register a complaint! READ FORDS RESPONSE!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drth Vdr

Reaction score
Contact your dealer. They'll re-paint no problem since you're under warranty. May as well wait until your back hatch also starts, and get them both done, but do it before 36k miles.

jered22

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for that.. I hope so I am trying to go over ever possible excuse they can give me not to paint it. There are no holes in the paint or scratches where it is bubbling and it has gotta bigger in a matter of a couple months. I live in NY and am sure we will be looking at snow this winter with more road salts so I want to get this taken care of.

blessedbyHim

Reaction score
same here...

I have a 2003 Ford Expedition, bought new fall of 2002. I noticed tiny bubbling a few years ago on the back hatch and now it's considerably more..and bigger bubbles. I googled "ford expedition back hatch bubbling' and this is where it brought me. I have seen 3 other Ford Expeditions in our area in parking lots with the same issue which is what prompted me to research.

u.p.expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone had success with taking their vehicles to a good paint shop and having the bubbled areas properly prepped and painted then clear coated?

Just wondering because I am no longer able to sit back and do nothing anymore-even though it kills me that ford knows about this and is doing nothing.

tpacheco

Reaction score
what year is your expy? My dealer which is where I bought my Expy from told me there is a 10 year 100k mile warranty om my Expy and the bubbling shouldnt be there and its Fords fault that its happening so there they agree with me, now when i asked them if its a common problem they said no they have only had 1 come in and ford replaced the hood under warranty for the guy and he had an 06 Expy (maybe this problem is common and he said that to make me think its something i caused or people around the area dont care enough to bring their vehicle back and complain), and the reason they wont warranty my hood or try to is because there is a tiny crack on the underside of the hood which aint hurting anything and was there when i bought the expy so i'm under the year and mileage limit but since its its got the crack its considered damaged and ford would claim the hood has been tampered with if they tried to warranty it, NOW I CALL BS ON THAT BUT I'M DONE OFF TO THE NEXT STEP EMAIL FORD AND OR START A PETITION AND GET FORD TO THROW OUT A WARRANTY!

It's a 2010

jered22

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: I had bubbling on my hood and took it back to dealer. Dealer looked at it and took a ton of pictures to submit to Ford. Ford replied with a request for a quote to have the hood repainted. I did this, they approved it and the work was taken care of. Can not complain other than it bubbled in the first place. According to my dealer Ford does not like to see any scratches or dings near the bubbling. If it is straight bubbling and still with in warranty they will fix it. Although I know most are out of warranty so this remains to be a problem.

Notmyidi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your dealer should cover it, happened to the bed on an associate's 08 super duty

sent from my mind via of telepathy

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I got my '06 in 2008, it was spotless. About 2 years later it started to bubble above the license plate trim. I talked to an acquaintance who works in a body shop, and he said to get it taken care of as soon as I could as the aluminum is fairly thin and letting it corrode further would create more issues. He said he could do it for me for $200, but has been too busy to fit me in on the side.
I finally was sick of looking at it and decided to get rid of the bubbles myself. I removed the upper license plate trim, and broke out the sander and went to it. Unfortunately the NAPA rattle can paint I got didn't match perfectly, but at least I stopped the corrosion for now. What baffles me is that the bubbles do not correlate to any of the holes in the panel that line up with the trim piece. The bubbles just start in the middle of the panel with absolutely no defect in the paint......obviously a defect in panel prep prior to paint. It kills me that Ford can still deny there is any issue, and won't cover the thousands of vehicles affected by this that are out of warranty.

rachel

Reaction score
Paint bubbling 2011 Expedition

We purchased a 2011 Expedition at the end of last year, and I just recently noticed the paint starting to bubble on the rear hatch door, right around the aluminum area above the license plate. In addition to this, we have experienced NUMEROUS other problems with our vehicle. I would NEVER recommend a Ford to anyone.