Paint Bubbling, We need EVERYONE to register a complaint! READ FORDS RESPONSE!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

handyone

Reaction score
Come on Ford step-up & do what's right!

My '04 has bubbled paint all over the lift gate. I knew it when I bought it. Took it to the dealer to see what it would cost to repair, estimate is $1090.42. Ford has known about this problem since before 2004, I think it would be fair for them to cover at least half the cost on out of warranty vehicles

rachel

Reaction score
Worst paint job ever

I just picked up my expedition from being repainted where it was bubbling--worst paint job, ever. There are pen-size "holes" all in the paint on the back, specifically where it was bubbling. The "ford" oval and "flex-fuel" decal on the back now sticks out twice as far as before and has sticky black foam like pieces sticking out around them.

I had also asked the dealership to fix my brakelight and turn signal which were out, while it was there, and to look at my radio and back power seats which intermittently stop working. I got my car back only to be told that they test drove it and could not replicate any problems, including the tail lights/blinker. After some discussion of me politely asking the service manager to come stand behind my car while I pressed the brake, he finally agreed (although told me it was not replicated) and he saw for himself that, indeed, it was not working. Reluctantly, he agreed to fix it. If they can't replicate a tail light, how are they competent enough to replicate any other problems that cannot be seen? We have had so many problems with Ford. Maybe because I'm a female they think I will just give up? Next time I am buying a Honda or Toyota...

smusch

Reaction score
09 bubbling pretty bad on back hatch. Haven't noticed any on good yet.

u.p.expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, decided to finally get the bubbling paint from the hood & lift gate off my mind once & for all-I will be turning in the expedition for a new make.

Sorry, FORD, but your unwillingness to take care of these issues on your high end products has forced me to make this decision.

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While mine was still under warranty I noticed the bubbling paint and I was told that unless a hole develops there was nothing ford would do, and they didn't. I guess this is the out they have-I wonder how long it would take for a hole to develop in aluminum-100 years? More? Less? Either way, this is a quality defect ford has mostly walked away from, leaving their customers with expensive vehicles looking like crap in comparison to yukons, tahoes & suburbans.

I posted this on this same thread shorty after it first started.

I really like the ride of the vehicle, but admittedly, recent service issues have me wondering about switching to other brands.

While I do not condone AT ALL what Ford is doing here. At least fords arent rusting like 1500 chevys do so easily. One of the reasons I didnt consider the tahoe more is I heard so many times and seen it first hand how they rust and rot. God help yall in the snow/salt belt and a chevy.

Last edited:

david_jr

Reaction score
I have got the bubbling on my hood (across the front just above the grill) and the lift gate below the chrome. The lift gate is worse with the paint cracking and peeling off. There is one spot on the hood where I can see metal through the bubbling. I have reported it to my dealer over the phone and made an appointment to have it looked at during a service appointment. I have the ESP for corrosion. I am well under the miles on the ESP. So I took it in and they looked at my truck, took photos and said they would submit my claim to Ford. Basically the service manager said Ford would most likely deny the claim because while the paint IS bubbling and peeling both on the hood and the tail gate, there is NO RUST, so it is NOT covered even under the the ESP that I paid dearly for. The next day they called me to confirm that Ford did in fact deny the claim due to no perferation in the body panel. Then they mailed me the paperwork. Another satisfied customer here I guess.

There are 95 posts in this thread and several requests for the website to post a complaint, but no one ever posted it in 3 years. Does anyone actually have a link?????

Rjwecker

Reaction score
Bubbling

I'm not sure if I posted a follow up to my initial remarks but Ford did take care of my bubbling problem and the dealership did a good job they even found more evidence of bubbling and corrosion at the bottom edge of my light gat along the rubber seal.
It is a shame that they know this problem exists and play a waiting game hoping it doesn't show up before the warranty runs out ,and the ESP doesn't cover because of a "rust" clause. But this website helps get the word out ,and like me people look their vehicle over before the hammer drops.

kawi_200

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just bought my '05 EB and it's got bubbling on the hatch in a couple places. Didn't notice it until later AFTER I signed the As-Is paperwork and got home.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2005 EB Expedition has severe bubbling on the hatch and not so bad bubbling on the hood, but the paint did flake off when I touched it. I just purchased this vehicle back in August and I knew about the bubbling when I bought it. Unfortunately it is the only thing that mars an otherwise almost perfect vehicle - I realize that its 8 years old and has 122,000 miles on it but is shines like its new except for a few scratches and chips.

I previously owned GM cars for years. The last one I owned was a '90 Corsica that I bought new. It had paint problems that GM refused to fix; I haven't owned a GM product since then.

I switched and I've driven Mercedes Benz cars for the last 20 years both new used ones and new ones.

The '05 Expedition caught my eye and I'm hoping to upgrade to a new one in 4 or 5 years, but I sure hope Ford fixes this problem before I drop $60,000 + on a new one.

Attachments

• Hatch photo.jpg
    Hatch photo.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 182
  • hood photo.jpg
    hood photo.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 162
Last edited: