Painting Lower Valance - '99-02

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, thanks for all the responses, but I don't think anyone really understood what I was asking...sorry if I was unclear...I was simply wondering if I could just spray paint it directly or if it was more complicated--like sanding, priming, filler, mutiple coats, clear coat, etc.

I know there are companies that make paint specifically for plastics and I also know factory paint can be bought in spray cans. I was just wondering if anyone had actually done it and if they could point me in the right direction.

I probably am not going to buy an aftermarket valance or bring it to a body shop. I just can't afford those options.

Thanks again for the responses, but I guess I really only want to hear from someone who has had experience with this sort of thing.

bloodzero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, you are going to have to do the sanding option. I searched around a little and that's what everyone said the only option is going to be since the paint won't hold very nicely just sprayed onto plastic.

Wed Turner

Reaction score
Originally posted by Remo
Well, thanks for all the responses, but I don't think anyone really understood what I was asking...sorry if I was unclear...I was simply wondering if I could just spray paint it directly or if it was more complicated--like sanding, priming, filler, mutiple coats, clear coat, etc.

I know this is kind of old, but I just joined and wanted to shed some light on this subject. You can actually do this yourself with spray paint cans, you just have to follow a few extra steps.

First you want to get your paint in a can. You will also want to get a can of adhesion promoter. You should be able to find this at most Autozone type stores along with the spray paint cans. You will want some abbrasive pads, like SOS but without the cleaner, a large bottle of rubbing alcohol 91%, and some regular dish soap.

What you want to do, remove what you want to paint and clean it a time or two with regular dish soap. This should get all the dirt off of it, wax, and other stuff. Let the item dry. Than take your rubbing alcohol and clean the item another 2 times to get off any remaining resedue of any kind. After that, you will want to take your abbrassive pads and scuff the surface. You don't have to leave marks or make the thing smooth, just rub it with medium pressure. After that you will want to tack it clean with a moist cloth, the alcohol is a good thing to use again to moisten the cloth. Let that dry good because now you are ready to start laying down the adhesion promoter. Lay the stuff on there per the instructions. Don't go to light on this stuff because it's going to help bond the paint to the plastic. After thats on, follow the instructions on the can for drying time before applying the paint.

This isn't exactally fool proof and it is time consuming, but it will help keep the paint on your valance for a decent amount of time. I've had the valance on my Ranger painted this way for 5 years and there are only a few spots that have chipped off in that time.

OP
OP
R

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks a lot! That was exactly what I needed to know. I appreciate your help and welcome to the forum!