Painting Plastic Molding Valance on 03-06

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken the limiteds have matching trim. I'm not sure how close you can get it, but theres quite a few people here that paint their trim, usually black, with good results. Whats your primary color?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, as AvroAero said, the Limiteds have a matching paint color and finish.

I, and some other forum members have painted the trim of our XLTs with the Krylon plastic spray paint. There is a thread somewhere around here named "2 tone paint" or something like that.

Here's the link:
Click me

I think there was an older thread that had some other pictures. You'll have to search for that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rmatthews8984

Reaction score
Originally posted by AvroAero
If I'm not mistaken the limiteds have matching trim. I'm not sure how close you can get it, but theres quite a few people here that paint their trim, usually black, with good results. Whats your primary color?

Yes the limited expos have the glossy black paint. I want the same thing. I have a black xlt with the yucky grey molding. I am wondering if there is a way to maybe sand it down, prime with something that will make the glossy paint sick the plastic, then paint.

The ones i have seen have painted it with Kylon...That will stiill leave that ruff texture i do not want.

OP
OP
R

rmatthews8984

Reaction score
Originally posted by ELVATO
Yes, as AvroAero said, the Limiteds have a matching paint color and finish.

I, and some other forum members have painted the trim of our XLTs with the Krylon plastic spray paint. There is a thread somewhere around here named "2 tone paint" or something like that.

Here's the link:
Click me

I think there was an older thread that had some other pictures. You'll have to search for that.

Did you sand that down? any chips? Looks GOOD! I found some stuff made by alsa that promises that paint will stick to the plastic. I think i might try that. Now i gotta find a paint shop.:mad:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No sanding. Just cleaning it up with some RainX glass cleaner (the closest thing I had to alcohol cleaner)

There was some "chips/peels" on the grille, but my guess is that was mostly due to me driving 100 miles in a bug infested night, without the paint properly drying all the way.