Parking garage height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgudnason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I liked my Silverado for that, the wing mounted antenna was (I assume deliberately) just higher than the roof. If the antenna cleared it the truck would too.
*thinks back to friend with silverado and parkade downtown*.. every time we would drive through that parkade, antenna was ding, ding, thwang, ding...

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Made me think of a road trip where we overnighted in Edmonton. Driving an Acadia with a roof box. Of course family want to visit West Edmonton Mall, traffic is heavy I see a gap to cross the road, tear up the ramp and about 5 feet short of the height warning barrier all I see is people staring with mouths open, I'm easily to 50kph at this point. And it suddenly dawns on me the roof box!!!!!!!

No bang thud or other noises, I carry on and park up. On the way out I deliberately stopped by the barrier, and I swear there was about an 1/8th of an inch clearance.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our 1st gen wouldn't fit in most of the DC parking garages.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Careful using the spec sheet (or tape-measured) height, particularly if you have a Max! You'll need to add some margin in case there's a tight ramp (like to get to the next level) in the garage. When you start up the ramp, the front of the vehicle rises up while the back is still level. Which means the roof starts to rise up towards the ceiling. If the ceiling height is the same all the way to the start of the ramp you're going to hit your roof even though the height of your expedition is lower than the ceiling. (Google pictures of breakover angle, but instead of the bottom striking the ground when the front wheels go down, it's the roof striking something when the front wheels come up...)

OP
OP
T

tl01

Reaction score
ever find yourself ducking every time you go in a garage? lol i know ducking my head doesn't help the top of the truck get any lower, but i still do it every time i'm in a tight garage.
there is one place i park with a 6.6 clearance, that the entrance is down a ramp, so the clearance sign scrapes my roof rack when i go in, cause back wheels are still higher up the ramp. first time i was a little worried, but i've parked in there a few times now..

I totally do that! I know it doesn’t help but it is a natural reaction for me. Lol!

OP
OP
T

tl01

Reaction score
6 foot parking garage?!?!? That’s insanely low.

I wonder if they give a buffer to avoid issues? Bc you are right. My husband wouldn’t technically fit. I am pretty sure when we went last year we parked underground...we had our other car with us. I’m sure he fit.

OP
OP
T

tl01

Reaction score
You have to drive through the passage way on the left....to get in the building.

B44CEECF-CFD1-4A1F-BD30-79D7FAB1BEBE.png

bridgerider

Reaction score
Our garage is marked as 6' 6" (or 78") and with no passengers or cargo, I gently scrape the crossbars across the low points (in this case aluminum heating duct); it's so gentle that it doesn't leave a mark on the crossbars, but I can tell you I have the panaramic moonroof open and drive at slower than walking pace! I'm in a 2018 4x4 with OEM roof rack.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ever find yourself ducking every time you go in a garage? lol i know ducking my head doesn't help the top of the truck get any lower, but i still do it every time i'm in a tight garage.
there is one place i park with a 6.6 clearance, that the entrance is down a ramp, so the clearance sign scrapes my roof rack when i go in, cause back wheels are still higher up the ramp. first time i was a little worried, but i've parked in there a few times now..

I fight against doing it every time. Yet the urge is there.

I also pump my imaginary brake pedal when I'm a passenger when the driver isn't quick enough for me. LOL