parking lights comeing on when unlocked by keyless entry?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ydopen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I miss the lights on my running boards comeing on when unlocking my expy, since they are gone now I was wondering if you could program it so the parking lights would come on when unlocked by the keyless remote?

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
ydopen, all it would take is a single diode making a jumper from the running board lights to the parking lights. Just have to make sure to get yourself a 10 amp diode. that is going to be the hard part. Then you wire up the diode to allow the voltage to go from the running board lights to the parking lights. That's it. If you put the diode in backwards, it will not work as the diode will be blocking the power going from the running board lights to the parking lights.

OP
OP
ydopen

ydopen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks!!! Diode? This is forign language to me? and also would i have to run a single wire to each one? or would a wire run to one trigger them all?

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
ydopen, 1 wire will trigger all of them.

Ok, diode, think of it like a check valve in a water pipe. Only allows water to flow one way. In the case of the diode, it only allows current to flow one way. Take a run to Radio Shack and see what they have. You are after something like:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12737863&filterName=Type&filterValue=Diodes

In short, anything that says "diode" and is rated for atleast 10 amps, you will be golden. Just a warning though, you will find "zener diodes", do not get those. They are a different beast all together and you do not want to mess with them.

OP
OP
ydopen

ydopen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok thanks so just run a 2 wire from one of the running board light wires and splice 1 parking light wire and tie into it? how do i know which is hot or ground and which one does the diode go in?

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
ydopen, you only need to run a single wire. I know the parking lights are all powered off of a brown wire. That is the positive wire. As for the running board lights, I would say to run a multimeter and see which wire has the 12 VDC on it. From there, run a wire (16 gauge) from the brown parking light wire, to the end of the diode that has a black band on it, then a second wire from the other end of the diode to the wire you found with 12 VDC on the plug for the parking light wires. That's it.

OP
OP
ydopen

ydopen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Buddy, I just like to have my brain cocked before I go to shooting.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
ydopen, now, why would you want that? LMAO