Performance heads??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newtofords

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any replacement heads for the 5.4L in a 1998 that would produce more power and less restriction?

CrackerExpy

Reaction score
I've heard of people using Navigator heads on the old 2 valve 5.4 blocks. I'm not entirely sure what the swap entails, but it has been done. I've also read in Ford Performance Trucks magazine, of a few Lightning guys doing it, but they worked the hell out of the block and heads.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Steen racing:
http://www.steenracing.com/

They'll do it for $750, and have a lot of experience with NPI heads.

Or you could swap PI heads and intake onto your engine. A bit more work, but if you do the labor it'll be a little cheaper.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can also get a set of patriot performance PI heads that have been ported. Just request the stage 1 heads with the swirl damn left in the combustion chamber so you won't lose any low speed torque. You will also need to find a PI intake as stated earlier. I have been contemplating this upgrade myself but using funds for other more important things right now like a moey pit house needing some foundation work....LOL

Matt R

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you can expect anywhere from 35 - 60 hp depending on the cams you put in there...which you should do with the PI head swap.

These figures are what the Mustang and F150 guys are reporting (Mustang results for both 4.6 and 5.4 engines - a lot of guys swap the 5.4 into their 'stangs)

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the stock torque converter stay with the crower baja beast or the smallest crane cams so you don't loose any torque. The PI swap will also bump the compression up a full point so you might think about having the combusion chambers opened up a bit so you won't be sitting above 10:1......
You might even look at at reman or low mileage PI longblock... You might be peeing in the wind with 140K on the ticker....
Matt R

OP
OP
N

newtofords

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies!
I'm looking forward to exploring these options in the future!

OP
OP
N

newtofords

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do most people usually get stuff like this without the idea of a supercharger?
I mean if you are going to rebuild hell...why not add more power while you are at it.
Must be fun to keep up with Porsche Cayennes!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65