Performance Upgrade - FIPK INSTALLED!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbitzer

Reaction score
Ok yesterday I had a K&N FIPK installed on my '00 4.6L Expy. To be quite honest I was not optimistic because I have the smaller engine and would not experience any gains. BOY WAS I WRONG!

I must say that I am quite impressed with the change in my truck! Actually impressed would be a severe understatement! I have not been out on the highway and cannot speak about passing response, but locally there is a major improvement in response. When i touch (yes I said touch...I'm not going to burn through a half a tank of gas pulling away from an intersection) the accelerator the engine responds. I don't need to hit the accelerator nearly as hard or as much anymore. The ride is much smoother and the engine sounds happier – because it can finally breathe.

Now this is only half of what I need to make the job complete. I have the intake, and at a later date, I will be doing the exhaust to get the full airflow.

Anyone who may be holding off and thinking that an FIPK would have little or no effect on your vehicle I would strongly recommend this as a worthwhile upgrade.

toocivil

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did it really make that much difference? I ordered one for my 2003, 4.6 liter, a few days ago. Hopefully it will be here soon. I hope I see the same response you did.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you look at K&N's dyno sheet you lose some low end power with it. Wasn't good for towing but it made a pretty good top end for the truck.

OP
OP
J

jbitzer

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in answering you...

Considering that this is a 4.6L Expedition and the thing weighs like 5,000 lbs I am quite pleased with the response I received after putting it in.

I'm not looking to speed away from a red light, I'm not looking for better MPG (although, it WOULD be nice). I was simply looking for the truck to respond when I wanted to accelerate.

I was told that you may see some increase in MPG however (and this is important to note) you may have to go through a few tanks of gas first. This is not due to anything other than the driver.

I have to admit that while I wanted to prove them wrong it did take me a little bit to stop stepping on the accelerator and hear the mean sound of it and feel it revving. I think it’s only natural that with any new toy or upgrade it takes some time to get used to it.

There is even more to be gained when used with an upgraded exhaust system or a tuner.

toocivil

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply jbitzer. I got mine installed this past weekend and I must admit the milage probably hasn't gone up any at this point. This is because I'm having to much fun stomping on it every now and then to hear the incredible sucking sound it makes. I even scared the heck out of a guy driving a little rice grinder the other day when I passed him. It must have been the howl sound the truck seems to make when you get on it. After I have my fun I'll have to see if the milage goes up any. At this point it was well worth the money. The truck seems to have a lot better response. Now I just need to get the exhaust done to finish it out.

Last edited:

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea, if you quickly romp the throttle in park with the hood open the thing REALLY sucks, really sounded nice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69