picture request: map light wiring plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maverick1701

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I am missing some wiring in my main map lights. It has been missing since I purchased the truck 3-ish years ago.

I have what looks like a plug end entering the map light area but nothing that goes from the plug to the two map lights. I do not see any plug-type receptacle where this plug needs to go. I do not see any obvious way for the power to transfer from the plug to the bulbs (unless I am missing something obvious)

I have tried every combo of :wiring/map light/dome light/pigtail/harness/etc with no luck.

Would someone mind posting a picture of their wiring in the map light area?? (so I can have some idea of what I am looking for)

I attached a pic of what I currently have in my map light area.
(bottom of picture is direction of hood)

2052m50.jpg

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I looked at the wiring diagram for the 97. There are a few different connectors depending on the trim level. Do you have a trip computer in the console?
Does the plug have the following wire colors:
Black/Light Blue
Light Green/Orange
Black

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maverick1701

Maverick1701

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I looked at the wiring diagram for the 97. There are a few different connectors depending on the trim level. Do you have a trip computer in the console?
Does the plug have the following wire colors:
Black/Light Blue
Light Green/Orange
Black

I only have 3 wires
Gray/Black/Brown

It looks like something might attach (wiring or maybe a piece of plastic) to where the wiring enters the map light area in the picture. I am going to try plugging it there and see what happens hahaha

My Exped is an XLT w/out the trip computer in the roof console.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maverick1701

Maverick1701

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I plugged the plug in the slot where found a little bracket deal and it fits but I still don't have any map lights. I still didn't have any map lights. I checked the plug w/a voltmeter and had 14v.

I used a little jumper setup with alligator clips from a previous project and ran 12v to the individual bulbs....nothing. I will get new bulbs monday and see if anything changes.

OP
OP
Maverick1701

Maverick1701

Full Access Members
Reaction score
still no luck. plug has power. Bulbs are functional (tested before install).
I tried installing the plug both ways (upside down and right side up with no success)

I am wondering if there is something on the inside of the console could be causing issues. I may end up pulling the console to inspect the internal wiring (if there is any)

marcusalan184

Reaction score
I think this is what you are looking for. Its like a flexible printed circuit piece that connects to the harness at one point and then has two rings where each of the bulbs contact it with pc style light bulb socket. I didn't realize that this wasn't as common until I found out almost no where stocked the pc579 bulb (printed circuit), they only carried regular 579 bulbs, which do not have a socket as part of the bulb. I needed the pc socket because when I picked up this truck, it was missing one.

Anyway, Hope this helps...

photo%203_zpsdi0hidyj.jpg
photo%202_zpshnflryor.jpg

Last edited:

marcusalan184

Reaction score
No problem! Unfortunately I can't really give you any more info on this part other than the following numbers on the circuit : TL7732 and V98182REV J. I've tried searching high and low for any info on this piece but haven't found much. Might have to be a junkyard find, or possibly a cheap complete overhead console off ebay. I suppose you could also just solder a wire directly to the contacts on the bulbs and run them to the connector. I'll be sure to keep you updated should I come across any more info.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
the_plugger