Pitman arm replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toubib

Reaction score
I had the joy the other day of replacing my Pitman arm and Idler arm on my wife Expedition and read on some of the forums that the Pitman arm was a bit of a challenge, Oh Yeah. Im writting this post to help out any other future DIY guys out there wanting to do this and save some time and maybe less profanity. The challenge is getting the arm of the spline, we used all sorts of creative methods to do this even modified a pickled fork, with no success. So off we go to get the right tool, for the right job, pit arm puller. Success is right around the corner until we actually tried to put the puller on and couldn't thread the bolt because the cross member was in the way. After many attempts of different methods, f-bombs and bleediing knuckles we removed two bolts off the steering box and loosened the third and pivoted that so we could have a direct line of sight for the bolt on the puller. After cranking the bolt like none other the arm popped off and the angles in heaven started to sing, and success. Hope this helps out, and remember a BFH is always a mans best tool when working on his suspension.