plastidip alternative

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well After I read a few writeups and saw various pics on plastidipping wheels, etc. I decided thats the way I'm going to go to do My chrome delete on our 02 eb. bumpers, pads, lower fascia, emblems, wheels, and running boards if we decide to keep them.
BUT....... There is no BLACK plastidip in Western Canada, all on backorder, and the price was $26.89 a can!! even tried a few placed near the border in the u.s. to no avail... So some more investigating led me to protect dip , Protect Dip: HOME 19.99 a can so a little better, and suppose to be smoother texture, better finish. I ordered 6 for now ill post up before and after pics for fun :)

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Yeah... it's hard to find in Canada. I get my mother in law to bring some back with her whenever she goes down to Montana. $5 a can. I think I have about 10 to 15 cans just stockpiled now. I'm addicted !!!

Yikes... Just went and checked... down to 4 cans.... I better start stockpiling again !!!!!

Last edited:

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Just looked up that protect dip stuff. Looks like it would do the job too. Great to have a back up plan :)

OP
OP
B

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
5 a can? So disgusted. But im used to shopping in the u.s. just crazy how much more stuff is to cross a line you cant see...

OP
OP
B

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well mixed reviews on the protect dip. I ordered six cans , three of which would not spray at all, 2 worked , and one was gold. So a little frustrated , we only got the grille and front bumper done. But what we did do turned out very well!!
ford_zpseb9ba03f.jpg

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice looks good! That sucks the cans did not spray. Do you mean the can sprayed actual gold or it worked like gold (good)? If it actually was the color gold I bet that was a bit of a surprise haha.

OP
OP
B

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I'm hopeing it was just an old batch , I made sure they were well shaken, and at the correct temperature, tried different nozzles. And yes I started to spray , it was clear with gold sparkles. Yes a suprise!

onlyexilove

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One other product that I really like is Armor All Custom Shield. That stuff I think works a bit better than plasti-dip. I have used both products and very happy with them both. Try to see if you can get the Armor All for cheaper there or possibly shipped there to you. It comes in black, white and clear and it is a 14 oz can compared to a 10 oz can like the palsti-dip. I know here in WA state that it runs me 14.99 a can.

OP
OP
B

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
can't find that armor all shield anywhere up here either, I got a new batch of protect dip and finished er off, no problem this time.
20130701_204715_HDR_zps16ed4f63.jpg
20130701_204659_HDR_zps17e27186.jpg

chrome delete complete :)