"Popping" sound from intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Recently, I serviced the K&N and now under hard acceleration at speeds greater than 50-55 I'm getting a popping noise from the intake. Under normal cruising, there is no noise. It seems like when I kick it into the passing gear, that's when it will make the noise. I can also punch it from a dead stop and get no noise. If I take it up to 70-75 and set the cruise, nothing. I have it narrowed down to hard acceleration of the passing gear at various speeds and the intake will pop pop pop. I've pulled the MAF sensor and sprayed it with CRC cleaner thinking I might have had some residual oil sneak back from cleaning the filter, but didn't help. Is it possible that the filter was just that dirty and now that it's clean, I'm just sucking in so much more air that the computer can't process it and adjust the ratios yet. There's less than 200 miles since the servicing and generally all stop and go. Really would like to have full power available and no pop noise if I need it. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Dib52

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, no codes either. If I drive it like a normal person everything appears fine and there are no noises. Only getting popping when I think I'm Earnhardt!

OP
OP
Dib52

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you done anything else? It could be lean.

I've done some reading and you're not the first to mention a lean condition. Here's what I can't seem to put my finger on. Before I serviced the K&N, I didn't have any issues. I could hammer away on the throttle with no problems, everything ran fine. The issue has only developed after cleaning the filter for the second time since new. I've cleaned it before without any problems and continued to run the HyperTech(87tune), exhaust, and CAI. That's why I was suspecting some residual oil from the filter sneaking back onto the MAF causing a false reading. Cleaning the MAF hasn't seemed to fix the issue. Maybe the MAF is on the way out, but under normal driving conditions there aren't any issues. It's only when I get on it hard in the passing gear above 55-60 mph that it will make the pop. Return back to a cruising speed, nothing. Kinda has me baffled. Guess I just have to keep my foot out of it when merging into traffic rather than punch it and GO!

ZombieSoldier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
reset the computer by unhooking the battery for a little while, so the comp can relearn it quicker... just a suggestion as i have no clue, but this may help

OP
OP
Dib52

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but, still have the issue. Just returned from a 4000 mile round trip for the holiday and she ran great until hitting the mountains of Tennessee. As we were cruising along at 72 mph and we encountered a hill, it would kick to the passing gear and for a brief moment(1-2 seconds) it would shutter and feel like the tranny was slipping and then take off. After returning back to cruise, all was fine. Spoke with my service tech and he's fairly confident that I have a coil on the way out. Should know more on Friday when it gets looked at. Thankfully I have the extended warranty and all "should" be well in a couple days. I'll keep y'all posted.

OP
OP
Dib52

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just got back from a test drive with the computer hooked up and the tech and I see spikes and drops on coils 2 and 5. Both are getting replaced under my extended warranty for 100 beans. Hopefully all will be well. The real test will come after I reload the programmer and get on it. With the stock tune loaded I had a hard time replicating the issue but the diagnostic computer was able to catch enough for them to go ahead and complete the repair.