possible misfire??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey im afraid i may have a bad coil or misfire

situation-when taking off from a dead stop the truck stutter.at speed fast or slow the truck began to struggles to maintain the speed and begins to stutter again,it feel like its cutting in and out,check engine light been on for a week and as soon as i get infront of Strauss the damn thing goes off,at times the idle is really ruff i recently did a tune up with motorcraft plugs,that was at 100,*** miles now on the truck is 115,*** plus....any suggesting???thanks in advance.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds like a coil. but if the light isn't on then drive around till it turns on. that way you know which coil it is. i had a coil go out when i was towing a trailer. my heater hose had a leak in it and was leaking coolant on the #4 coil. i didnt know about the leak but ford told me that. and it seems like they didnt replace the hose just patch it. its holding so it dosent matter.

OP
OP
tritonman5.4

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i know what cylinder is causing the problem

its cylinder three but being that the check engine light isnt on anymore we cant figure out whats the problem

98-expedition

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my 98, replaced the plugs and still had the issue the check engine light was doing the same thing, One day the light came on and I go into an Auto Zone and it was a misfire on #5, Replaced the coil and have had no problems since. Hope this helps.

markanthony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
More often then not, it's the coil and not the plug. Unless u buy really cheep plugs (under $1.50, or them E3 things.) The plugs should last u a long time unless their is something else going on (oil burning, etc)
If u don't know which one. Buy just one coil and start on one side in front and replace it. If it don't stop. replace ur old coil back on and go to the second one back. this is time consuming, but effective.

The easiest way is to take it to auto zone and have them hook up. it should tell u what one it is. Then replace it.

I would also suggest that if their are more then two that are giving trouble. Replace them all. Hear is what I installed in mine and notice a good gain with it. I also installed factory motocraft plugs with it. I would also think that a little bit hotter plug could help in power/fuel economy. But someone with more knowledge could help out more on that.

Last edited: