powdercoating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
frankie paladin

frankie paladin

Reaction score
thanks everyone, i had a feeling it couldn't be done. looked it up on the website for the powdercoater by me and it said the metal has to be able to take temps up to 400 degrees. since these wheels are plastic, it ain't happening. damn shame ford cheapped out on the wheels. that's really my only gripe with the truck.

ghost0217

Reaction score
thanks everyone, i had a feeling it couldn't be done. looked it up on the website for the powdercoater by me and it said the metal has to be able to take temps up to 400 degrees. since these wheels are plastic, it ain't happening. damn shame ford cheapped out on the wheels. that's really my only gripe with the truck.

I think you need to do a little bit more looking into this. The OP said that he has the factory 20" wheel option in chrome. I am pretty sure that those are real wheels and not the plastic covered ones like the 17's and 18's are. I may be wrong, but it is worth a "double check".

I hope this helps,
Ghost0217

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might be able to separate the 'chrome' plastic covers from the aluminum wheels.
I'm pretty sure they are just held on with an adhesive. I don't want to tell you to start prying, but maybe there is a way. Perhaps heat the wheels to melt the glue?

If you can get the covers off, I'm pretty sure you can media blast and powdercoat then.

Of course, I have never seen the covers removed, but someone has to be first, right?