Power Brake Booster Replacment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dreadx

Reaction score
Hello, I recently purchased a 2005 Ford Expedition XLT. Soon after I noticed the power brake booster is leaking vacuum and seems to be getting worse. I plan on replacing it and bought a replacement part from NAPA. The issue is the Check Valve assembly on the new part is different from what I have. I have double checked the part numbers and mine does not have ESC.

Existing Part

Replacement Part

Any help would be really appreciated.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like you can remove the check valve from the new booster and use your old on in it's place.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

dreadx

Reaction score
I'm just worried about doing that because its clearly labeled on the new booster that if the check valve is removed the warranty is voided.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have the traction control system? Just wondering what the other hoses could be for.

Just curious since the picture from the service manual for the 03s shows the check valve looking like the NAPA one. IIRC, mine looks like the NAPA one as well.

Attachments

• Brake booster.gif
    Brake booster.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,236

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like if you need to, you could just run some hose from the new valve to the part that that goes into the booster on the old valve and just have both pieces if needed. last resort stuff.

lordway

Reaction score
How to change the brake booster on a 2003 Expedition

I'm changing the Brake vacuum booster and a How-To video would have been nice. What I've learned so far...

** Note it is very awkward to work under the dash of a 2003 Expedition so first move driver seat all the way back.

Under the hood:
1. Remove the negative terminal from the battery.
2. Remove the 2 nuts holding the master cylinder to the brake booster. These nuts are 1/2 inch (NOT 13 mm). Pull the master cylinder out of the booster and move to the side.
3. Remove the vacuum hose from the booster. Squeeze clip with pliers and pull.

Under the dash:
1. Pull cotter pin (yellow) from short rod/pin connecting the brake pedal to the vacuum booster rod.
2. Pull/yank the brake clip by hand over the rod/pin (toward passenger side) to then free the rod.
3. Remove the 4 nuts of the booster using a 13 mm deep socket. Socket depth is important - should be at least 2.5 inches. This is not 1/2 inch but rather a 13 mm nut. The top two nuts could use a universal joint for easier access. (Why is Ford mixing standard and metric sizes?)

Install new brake booster by reversing the instructions.

Last edited:

collazoscesar

Reaction score
Did you have to do any adjustments to the booster, I just changed mine and now my brakes are locking up. I thought the replacement Oreily's auto parts booster would already come factory adjusted.

Thanks Cesar

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition