Power fold mirror upgrade, need to enable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just installed the power fold mirrors on my 2012 Expy, complete with switch, and they adjust properly, but don't fold. I know there isn't a separate relay like in the 2011 and earlier models, but is there something in the computer that needs to be enabled by the dealer to make them work? If not, how do I get them to fold?

Does anyone have a wiring diagram so I can make sure the trigger wire is working properly, or how to hook it up if I need to bypass something?

OP
OP
rwmorrisonjr

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
UPDATE: Apparently I need to have the dealer enable with a BCM tool I'll put that on my to do list for this week. Hopefully it'll be an easy and quick fix.

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think the relay that powerfolds the mirrors is embedded in the circuit board of the DSM (Driver Seat Module). If your DSM has that feature and all the wires are there to make it work, then you're good to go. If not, you might have to do what I just did on my 07. See my post here.

12-Expy_Mirror_Diag.jpg

attachment.php

OP
OP
rwmorrisonjr

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
TX, thanks for posting your diagram and link to your thread. I'm going to check with my dealer Friday when I pick up my mirror covers, and if he can't do it, then I'll probably do your mod with the relay.

The 2012s and later don't have a relay anymore, it's all controlled by the BCM and memory module now.

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh I know. They stopped putting relays in them in 2007. Because they embedded the relay into the circuit board of the DSM (Driver Seat Module). Rather then buying a new seat module with the powerfold feature I went with the older relay system found mostly in the Ford F-Series. Definitely the cheaper route.

OP
OP
rwmorrisonjr

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
TX, I just scheduled my appointment with the dealer next week to have them enable the power fold and auto dim features in the BCM. For $50, its worth it to not cut all the wires up, especially since I'm still under the extended warranty.

OP
OP
rwmorrisonjr

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried to have the power fold turned on, but the shop couldn't do it. He could enable the feature in the system, but it wouldn't do anything, so I'm guessing my module doesn't have the relay circuit. I priced out a new one, and its $340 from the dealer, so I'm going to do the relay version as well.

Cailein

Reaction score
Hey, I have a 2017 XLT with manual folding mirrors. Can you summarize all the steps and parts I need to upgrade mine? Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1