Power folding mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpav

Reaction score
On our 06 Limited, the power folding mirrors don't quite work correctly.

They "fold" in about 2 or 3 inches then stop. And when going back, don't seem to go back and line up with the rest of the mirror base.

I have read the instructions on how to reset, and that doesn't seem to work since they don't move far enough for that, or to hear a snap.

I did see another thread on here someone was going to work up some aftermarket brass gears and motors, but I'm trying to figure out if this is just a pull apart, clean up and grease type of thing, or if something is in fact broken.

Has anyone torn apart whatever it is that folds these things, or tried to repair them. I'd rather not spend hundreds replacing both sides, as they seem to work well other than the folding part, and I don't want to have to color match new parts as well adding to the cost.

Can't tell if it is going to help to try and lube it up, so before I spray a gallon of lubricant in there and make things worse, wanted some advice. Don't see anything in the service schedule that says to lubricate, so not sure if it is needed. I'm sure this isn't the first electrical thing that has failed on these rigs.

Thanks,
Josh

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well if it was me, I'd pull one side apart and see what went awry. Use deoxit on any switch in there. If their plastic gears their probably stripped. As far as gears, are the Ford ones still available? Just in case. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jpav

Reaction score
Seems more like a load issue on the motor, since I don't hear a plastic gear is stripped and jumping type of sound. Gets in a few inches, and just slows to a stop. Similar to if something is running on a battery pack, like a drill, and as soon as it has a load in it, it slows to a stop.

Actually very similar to the way the driver window sounds on the way up (all other windows fine, just that one, on up, down works great, but one thing at a time...) like it almost won't roll up all he way.

Maybe there is more to it than just lunrication, just thought I couldn't be alone in this quest. Saw some oem replacement for "only" around 400 each side!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jpav

Reaction score
Ok, so have noticed this seems to get worse.

The seat memory moves the mirror in each setting, and the mirror is way off, and requires a reset often.

It seems the "parked" position of the mirror case is incorrect. It doesn't line up with the rest of the mount. Seems lout of line a good 1/2" or so. And that messes up the mirror glass setting.

At this point, for over $800 in parts, I don't need the power folding feature, but it would be nice to get regular adjustments to stay set better.

In reading factory manual pages on this, there is a "tab" to release the glass, but then there is a caution about being careful to not break parts in this area. So, I'm not wanting to tear into this, and break what parts are working by just not getting in correctly. I don't see what the issue is, but don't want to break this thing if someone can offer some be careful with this type of extra advise

Thanks

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would fold it manually towards the body and make sure the swivel moves that far. Then I'd actuate the power folding and see if they re-learn properly.

OP
OP
J

jpav

Reaction score
Tried the relearn, maybe I'm doing it wrong. Fold in, or folding back doesn't seem to relearn anything. Honestly sounds like the motor has a flat spot and slows and stops. But the click into place does not set it correct. Is that what the relearn is supposed to fix?

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dunno what the relearn is supposed to fix, honestly. You're supposed to force them in manually, though, accompanied by a loud POP. You'll think you broke them. It disengages them from the motors and everything.

OP
OP
J

jpav

Reaction score
Ok, will try it again a few times. There is a loud pop, as you manually move them back to the "near normal position" so will see if it does anything different.

OP
OP
J

jpav

Reaction score
Ok, so below is what the owner manual says. I'm never hearing the click (unless I manually click them back to near the normal operating position). So, am I doing something wrong? Should I try this from the folded position? It almost seems as if the motor is not strong enough to get the click to happen, since it only swings the mirror about 1/4 of what it should fold in (assuming again, that the amount folded in manually is how the power fold should work, and how far it should move).

Quoted from owner manual, page 113:

The mirrors may be moved inward/outward manually, however, if a mirror is moved manually, it will need to be reset. To reset: with the switch in the center position, press the switch down to fold the mirrors in and wait a short period (8 seconds). An audible clickwill be heard indicating re-synchronization. If the click is not heard, use the switch to fold the mirrors out, then in, until the click is heard. After that, the mirrors will operate to their normal positions until they are again moved manually.​

OP
OP
J

jpav

Reaction score
Not much different, but from the factory service manual:

Exterior Mirror Motor Synchronization

NOTE: This procedure must be performed any time the power folding mirrors are manually folded IN or OUT, or if the postion of the mirror case has been moved without using the mirror control switch.

NOTE: If the power folding mirrors are folded or unfolded continuously (6 to 10 cycles), the power lockout feature will disable the system for 2 minutes to prevent damage to the power fold motors. After 2 minutes have elapsed, normal operation will resume.
    1. Set the mirror control switch to the CENTER position.
NOTE: It may be necessary to cycle the power folding mirrors IN or OUT up to 4 times before they are synchronized.
    1. Use the mirror control switch (press rearward) to automatically cycle the power folding mirrors IN and OUT 4 times.
    1. When an audible popping sound is heard, the power folding mirror motors are synchronized.