Power running board motor removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MxRacer965

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmm. Same spot on my 2018. Maybe your socket is thicker or bolt is in a slightly different orientation. Maybe find a thinner walled socket.

View attachment 35850

Thanks for crawling down there twice now!

Bizarre. I see you have a Craftsman socket. I was using a craftsman as well. I also tried another brand I have with no luck.

13mm, right?

I’ll be at my parents tomorrow, I’ll see if my dad has different sockets to try as well.

OP
OP
MxRacer965

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ordered the set that was recommended earlier. If I need to I’ll grind the OD down some I guess. Just didn’t want to ruin a newish craftsman. Harbor freight, sure...but I don’t have their sockets...

I can probably toss one in a lathe at my dads as well and just turn it down a bit too.

Kmdcolo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealer just replaced my motor under warranty. I thought
My issues were due to road grime and dirt causing noise and binding but it was a bad motor.

OP
OP
MxRacer965

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealer just replaced my motor under warranty. I thought
My issues were due to road grime and dirt causing noise and binding but it was a bad motor.

Mine work fine, just start to make noise on driver side unless I break out the spray lubricant every other day. I’ve narrowed it down to the motor shaft where it goes into the bracket furthest from the motor. If I spray that and work the running boards by repeatedly opening and closing the door it will go away for a day or two and then I have to do it all over again.

OP
OP
MxRacer965

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok...had to put a socket in a lathe and turn it down just a touch, but got the 13mm out that was holding me up. Motor slid out no problem. I took the bushings out, cleaned everything up, then greased the motor shaft and bushings up and out it back together.

First time deploying it still screeched. Couple more times and it went away. If it comes back I guess it’s off to the dealer for a new motor...

OP
OP
MxRacer965

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update for anyone else that ends up here in the future...

I couldn’t get the noise to go away even after removing the motor, cleaning, and greasing everything. Tried the rear hinge as well and still making noise. Dealer replaced the motor and bracket/hinge today in about 45 min. Sounds fine now.