PowerStop, Hawk, Akebono, EBC, Bosch, Centric and even Brembo brake pads. So many options with so little reviews and info!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
20Expy

20Expy

Reaction score
I've used EBC on cars in the past but was not impressed and switched to Bosch for cars. For heavier vehicles the Hawk LT pads work great, even while towing. I've heard Stoptech Z36 package is good as well but haven't tried it myself. My trailer has brakes and I mostly tow on flat ground, so I haven't felt the need for anything that aggressive.
Yes, I have read a lot of EBC Greenstuff material just falling off the pads itself which is not confidence inspiring.

I think you meant Powerstop Z36, which I heard is also very popular. The only info I couldn't find is if it has mechanical attachments between the friction material and the backing plate or not. But either way, if people can tow a boat down 4k ft. with it, I think it's plenty for our light use.

jar0023

Reaction score
I’ve been very pleased with the power stop Z36. OE rears were toast at 25k miles and the rotors warped. Approx 35k I installed the full Z36 kit with rotors. Currently at 118k. Zero issues but pads are nearing end of life. Amazon had the pads on sale for Black Friday so they are here waiting for a slow weekend.

To try and add some context, the OE pads felt soft. Pressing on the pedal harder did not produce more stopping. With the Z36 more pedal gets you significantly better stopping and brake feel. You can feel the Z36 pads work better with a little heat in them. Similar to the old Carbon Metalic Z rated pads or Porterfield R4S.
IMG_5976.jpeg

jar0023

Reaction score
Here are the rears. Full length friction surface. Not cut down like the OE pads. Shims, springs, lube. Bonded. No rivets.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 15

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And lastly, do you know if Ford OEM specifies the need for mechanical attachments in their brake pads for the 4th Gen? If yes, do you know if Hawk pads have mechanical attachments?
Honestly, have no idea whether the Hawk are mechanical. I respect Jason(EE) and love his videos and the Science, being a Chemist by Education, and Network/Server Admin by trade, I really enjoy the detail. Could care less about the mechanical aspect. I have had Hawk Pads on more than a dozen vehicles I have driven, many of those on a Track, and ZERO issues. Used them on my SuperDuty when towing over 12K regularly. No issues in the Mountains(VA). So I go with what I have experience with in this scenario.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think the whole mechanical attachment is something to even worry about. Over all the years I have only had one set of cheap parts store pads come apart and guess what, the brakes still worked just fine with the pad material gone, of course it destroyed the rotor but still.

The EBC issues you noted were a problem that happened quite a while ago and were resolved. I have been running Green and Yellow EBC's on my jeep for 15 years and they have been fantastic but are much too dusty for my usage on the expedition. I don't care that they are messy on the jeep, I just need it to stop.

Hawk makes good stuff and the only stuff they have that has mechanical attachment that I am aware of is their HD line which is for BIG trucks and not small consumer SUV's. I used hawk on my dodge truck when I had it and never had an issue with them and would use them on the expedition. When I did put pads on the back of mine I just got the premium ceramic pads from the parts store and they worked fine.

I am in the camp that thinks drilled rotors aren't needed on anything but race cars and frankly, I don't think most people need slotted rotors on anything but race cars too. Some of this is due to my experience offroading, slots and holes just give some place for mud, dust, and crap to collect. On my jeep I have gone strictly to Centric rotors and ebc pads, and the performance is significantly better than stock and other than those pads being dusty they are fantastic.

I had one jeep (manual transimission) that was still on its stock pads at 124K miles and they still had life left on them. That doesn't mean those pads were good, it was just a light vehicle and compression braking took care of most of the work. I really think you are way over thinking and over stressing the situation. If it makes you feel better, buy a big name product and run with it.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think the whole mechanical attachment is something to even worry about. Over all the years I have only had one set of cheap parts store pads come apart and guess what, the brakes still worked just fine with the pad material gone, of course it destroyed the rotor but still.

The EBC issues you noted were a problem that happened quite a while ago and were resolved. I have been running Green and Yellow EBC's on my jeep for 15 years and they have been fantastic but are much too dusty for my usage on the expedition. I don't care that they are messy on the jeep, I just need it to stop.

Hawk makes good stuff and the only stuff they have that has mechanical attachment that I am aware of is their HD line which is for BIG trucks and not small consumer SUV's. I used hawk on my dodge truck when I had it and never had an issue with them and would use them on the expedition. When I did put pads on the back of mine I just got the premium ceramic pads from the parts store and they worked fine.

I am in the camp that thinks drilled rotors aren't needed on anything but race cars and frankly, I don't think most people need slotted rotors on anything but race cars too. Some of this is due to my experience offroading, slots and holes just give some place for mud, dust, and crap to collect. On my jeep I have gone strictly to Centric rotors and ebc pads, and the performance is significantly better than stock and other than those pads being dusty they are fantastic.

I had one jeep (manual transimission) that was still on its stock pads at 124K miles and they still had life left on them. That doesn't mean those pads were good, it was just a light vehicle and compression braking took care of most of the work. I really think you are way over thinking and over stressing the situation. If it makes you feel better, buy a big name product and run with it.
This right here is SPOT on! Yeah, @duneslider I could see slotted being an issue under off road conditions. But haven't had issues, as i don't do heavy offroading in my F150. More overlanding type things. I agree 100% on the drilled!

m3bs

Reaction score
I'm not seeing any reason not to go back with the stock Motorcraft pads. I have 35K on mine, mostly towing, and they are still about 80% thickness and my rotors look like new. The initial bite and stopping power are good, low dust, and they are extremely rotor friendly. At under $60 per axle from RockAuto, I'll go back with them....if they wear out before I trade cars!

That was not the case with my old Armada. Switched to Hawk LT, and got better stopping power at the expense of increased rotor wear.

OP
OP
20Expy

20Expy

Reaction score
I'm not seeing any reason not to go back with the stock Motorcraft pads. I have 35K on mine, mostly towing, and they are still about 80% thickness and my rotors look like new. The initial bite and stopping power are good, low dust, and they are extremely rotor friendly. At under $60 per axle from RockAuto, I'll go back with them....if they wear out before I trade cars!

That was not the case with my old Armada. Switched to Hawk LT, and got better stopping power at the expense of increased rotor wear.
Wow, lucky for you. We currently have 48000km (30000 miles) no towing/heavy hauling and dealer quoted that all the pads are at 1mm, except for the front left at 3mm. Forgot to link my other thread, talking about it in detail: https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...d-rotors-replacement-quote-from-dealer.54873/