Powerstop Z36 Brake Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmrisko

Reaction score
It is time for new pads and rotors on my truck and while searching around for the best deals, I went down some rabbit holes on Amazon and found a Powerstop Z36 kit with red calipers for $325 shipped. While I didn't need new calipers or particularly care about red ones (although I have Brembo brakes on my daily driver Jeep SRT), I figured for the price it was a no-brainer. The calipers on the truck are the 20 yr old originals and I figured at some point one may eventually seize up, so why not replace everything now and get all new Dot4 fluid into the system. Also, I don't do a lot of towing, but occasionally drive mountain roads and have larger tires, so the Z36 pads should be of some benefit. Total weight on both packages was 125lbs...thanks Amazon Prime! I also picked up one of the pneumatic brake bleeder kits from Harbor Freight, so I won't have to rely on my wife to come out later tonight to pump the brakes.

Here are some initial pictures of the kit...I'll update with my thoughts after it is installed. We're also taking the truck camping in the mountains this weekend so I'll report back if the brakes are a worthwhile upgrade. I will say the powder-coating on the calipers looks pretty sloppy and pales in comparison to factory Brembos. I'm not sure I'd pay much for the calipers unless I really just wanted red ones or needed fresh rebuilt ones.

MVIMG_20181106_142209.jpg MVIMG_20181106_143322.jpg

OP
OP
B

bmrisko

Reaction score
I got everything installed and the system bled last night in about 3 hours. After bedding the brakes and driving around town today, there is a noticeable improvement over the stock brakes with parts store pads/rotors. The pedal firmed up a bit, which is likely a byproduct of getting all new fluid into the system. There is also noticeably less fade when braking hard and I am quite happy with the outcome. Obviously 2 piston front calipers are never going to be as good as 6 piston Brembos w/ 15" front rotors, but for what it is, I'll take it. The real test will be in the rainy mountains this weekend.

Would I pay $600 for the kit? Probably not, but if you can find it for under $400, I'd recommend it, especially if you have old calipers on your truck.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year is your Expedition? My 2000 has 4 piston up front.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1