Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expy7

Reaction score
Hi all,

Changing my brakes has been an experience since its the first time I have ever one it. I am having a beaver of a time getting my rear caliper pistons retracted. I put it into brake maintenance mode before starting but the brake kit that I have does not have a three pin disc plate that fits (it has a three pin one that has one peg that is waaay longer than the others but it does not fit properly and wont work). I managed to get them turned in quite a ways with some needle nose (was not at all comfortable doing this) but man the calipers are slipping on rough as its such a tight fit, feel like I could get another turn or so of the piston to get it to fit on smoother. Ive read other posts about where people have been able to straight compress it back like the fronts but I did not have any luck with that.

I am having trouble finding the size of the three pin adapter plate that I want, would this kit from harbor freight work?

Master Brake Caliper Set, 20-Piece (harborfreight.com)

It looks like the B plate is the one that I would want?

Edit: Plate from the kit did not work, resorted back to using long needlenose pliers. The Icon kit was very nice though when I opened it and took a look.

Attachments

• 20230929_155634.jpg
    20230929_155634.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recall an excellent write-up on this forum with pictures on how to do the 4th generation rear brakes. I did not bookmark it.

Have you done a search?

OP
OP
E

Expy7

Reaction score
I recall an excellent write-up on this forum with pictures on how to do the 4th generation rear brakes. I did not bookmark it.

Have you done a search?
Replacing rear brake pads and rotors | Ford Expedition Forum

If this is the one that you are talking about, I did. I cannot get them to compress with standard compression. I can get them to retract with winding. Its just the needlenose are not working amazing and its not comfortable which is why I was hoping that the brake set that I linked would have a plate in it that could be used with these pistons.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replacing rear brake pads and rotors | Ford Expedition Forum

If this is the one that you are talking about, I did. I cannot get them to compress with standard compression. I can get them to retract with winding. Its just the needlenose are not working amazing and its not comfortable which is why I was hoping that the brake set that I linked would have a plate in it that could be used with these pistons.

That’s the one. I’m sorry I can’t help. Good luck.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pop the reservoir cap off to allow pressure to bleed off, when compressing the caliper. If the cap isn’t taken off, you’ll fight the internal line pressure and not be able to fully retract the caliper.

OP
OP
E

Expy7

Reaction score
Pop the reservoir cap off to allow pressure to bleed off, when compressing the caliper. If the cap isn’t taken off, you’ll fight the internal line pressure and not be able to fully retract the caliper.
Hi,

I had popped the cap off the reservoir as well, update down below :D.

OP
OP
E

Expy7

Reaction score
So update:

The job is finally done. Kind of a traumatizing day but my first ever brake job is done for another 4 or so years I hope :). I learned a lot through this. After attempting to screw it in and compress clockwise, it would not go in so I turned it the other way, dumb idea I know, but I was running on little sleep and becoming frustrated. I ended up twisting it so much that the piston popped out. I kind of tried pushing down and pressing it back in but brake fluid shot out of the boot like a bullet and into my face. I felt like I wanted to puke from being so angry (and thinking of the tow bill, repair bill, parts bill, every panicked thought that entered my mind, etc to get it to someone to fix) so I threw my pliers as hard as I could and went inside to take a nap. After getting some sleep and taking a drink, I went back out to see what I could do (and consult my mechanic brother in law....). I ended up popping the piston all the way out of the rear caliper, and removing the boot. I made sure everything still looked good and popped the boot and piston back in and was able to compress it clockwise at this point as there was no pressure from all the brake fluid being out and it compressed like it should (most guides show you should be able to just straight compress, but I can only relay my experience with that not working and having to twist and compress):).

Got everything back on, got it out of brake maintenance mode, bled the brake that the piston came out of, and was able to head out to get them bedded in. Success!

Take away:
- Dont work on little sleep where its hard to think
- Dont get overly angry
- Stop and think once in awhile, take a nap
- Be friends with your local dealer in case you have questions
- Have a relative that is a mechanic and can bail you out
- Live near a Harbor Freight
- Try not to let Harbor Freight steal all your money

My next adventure, spark plug change (changing both plugs and boots) and front / rear diff fluid exchange! I am going to have my dealer do trans fluid, coolant fluid, and brake fluid flushes and I think I will be happy mentally with what I want to get serviced. I know most of it is overkill, but I will feel better so its worth it to me.

Thanks for the responses guys, really appreciate them!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani